the music of Tikhon Khrennikov (1913-2007)

Started by DennisS, Sunday 20 September 2009, 10:43

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Quote from: Amphissa on Friday 25 September 2009, 03:15
This was after Myaskovsky had won the Stalin Prize, and was especially dispicable because Kabalevsky was Myaskovsky's teacher.
I think you have it reversed.  Kabalevsky was Myaskovsky's pupil.

Amphissa

Thanks for catching my typo, Jim. And for actually reading my rant!

I've corrected the text.

Peter1953

It's with great interest that I've read the posts on Khrennikov, especially Amphissa's contribution (Reply #14). I don't know his music, and probably I'll never do, unless someone can tell me that his music is reminiscent of Rachmaninov or late-Romantic. However, the history behind the man, his behaviour and his music is interesting enough.
If you search on Google you will find a lot of information, e.g. at www.khrennikov.ru/eng/
Dennis, I understand that he was not born in 1903, but on 10 June 1913. He passed away on 14 August 2007, 94 years old.

DennisS

Hello Peter1953

Thank you for pointing out the error re-Khrennikov's birth date. I did in fact know he was born 1913 but when I did the posting, I was in fact looking at two composers, the other being born on 1903 (for the moment I can't remember who the second composer was!!!). I simply confused the two! I later read that he died in 2007. On the cds I purchased, it states merely born 1913, hence the original posting.

Mark, can you please amend my original posting to read  "1913-2007". Sorry for another typo, I stand duly reprimanded!

cheers
Dennis

Peter1953

Dennis, was the other composer perhaps Aram Khachaturian? Well, never mind the year of birth. I'm fascinated what the relations can be between the composers life, attitude or behaviour and his (hers) music (or musical development). Not seldom while listening to a remarkable piece of music I wonder under what personal circumstances the composer wrote it. So I wonder how about Khrennikov?

Well, didn't Khrennikov say that Prokofiev and Shostakovich were his favourite composers? I can now understand why. Here are samples of four of his short concertos: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Tikhon-Khrennikov-Klavierkonzerte-Nr-2-3-op-21-28/hnum/2993564
Do I hear Bartok as well? Or does his music really stand on its own? For me the disc is not a must-buy.

DennisS

Hello Peter1953

Re- the wrong birth date of Khrennikov

When I did the posting, I was looking at two cds, 2 different composers with 2 different birth dates.  The 2nd cd was neither Khatchaturian nor Kabalevsky (both composers I like). Retracing my steps, I can't find the cd I am referring to, so where I got the 1903 date from, haven't a clue!! I did in fact refer to Einar Englund and 1903 but that is wrong as well, so I'm going to put it down to an aberration on my part! The cd you referred to, i.e. the 4 concertos is one that I purchased. I personally like the cd but think the PCs better than the VCs. As I said earlier, Khrennikov does not have the lyricism of Prokofiev but his music was influenced by him and perhaps also a little bit by Shostokovich, hence my liking of his music. I would hesitate to say Khrennikov's music is "great" but I enjoy it. I fully accept that musical preferences are highly subjective and therefore there will always be differences of opinion. This is as it should be.

cheers
Dennis

Pengelli

The old comrade's still provoking controversy,eh?

Pengelli

The Northern Flowers cd of Lev Knippers eighth symphony & Violin Concerto will be released on the 13th of October. So we can decide for ourselves,perhaps?!!!

Pengelli

The Northern Flowers website also lists new cds of symphonies by Gavril Popov,
Mossolov (Iron Foundry,anyone?)& the complete string quartets of Myaskovsky.

Hovite

Quote from: Pengelli on Tuesday 29 September 2009, 00:22
The Northern Flowers website also lists new cds of symphonies by Gavril Popov,
Mossolov (Iron Foundry,anyone?)& the complete string quartets of Myaskovsky

Leaving to one side the doubtful pleasures of Mossolov and Popov, the 12 quartets of Myaskovsky should be of interest (if his symphonies and and sonatas are any indication), and I see that quartets of dry as dust Taneyev also feature (his chamber music is Brahmsian rather than Russian).

Alan Howe

Quoteand I see that quartets of dry as dust Taneyev also feature (his chamber music is Brahmsian rather than Russian).

Two objections to this:
(i) Taneyev's music is not dry as dust: it reveals a master-composer who wrote fabulous music in many genres (symphony, opera, choral, chamber).
(ii) The idea that the chamber music is 'Brahmsian' is laughable. What is true is that Taneyev looks more to the West than most of his contemporaries - a little like Glazunov. The 'Brahmsian' label is the refuge of lazy musical criticism.

peter_conole

Hi all

I agree with Alan re Taneyev. In addition, he was not a 20th century composer. And I have no problems with 'Brahmsian' influences anyway. Or Reinecke, Saint Saens, Raff et all influences on 20th century composers. I just wish those influences had lasted and triumphed, rather than those of the 2nd Viennese School, jazz, atonalism and other fads.

I note that the sharp and perceptive Nicolas Slonimsky tends to emphasise home grown aspects of Khrennikov's music: "his own works express forcefully the desirable qualties of Soviet music, a  flowing melody suggesting the broad modalities of Russian folk songs, a vibrant and expressive lyricism, and effective instrumental formation". I have only his piano concertos to go on, Amphissa, and have not heard them for a while. But as I recall, despite Slonimsky's mild and kindly assessment, he was no Rachmaninov.

The same writer has this to say about Lev Knipper: "under the influence of western European trends he wrote music in a fairly advanced style of composition, but soon abandoned these experiments and devoted himself to the study of of folk music of different nationalities..." That sounds like code for 'he conformed' after somebody in authority had words with him.

regards
Peter   

Pengelli

Kabalevsky is no Rachmaninov,but I wouldn't want to be without his music.
Personally,I love the spicy harmonies in Khrennikov's music.Bring it on!

Christopher

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Khrennikov's Cello Concerto No. 2 ?

eschiss1

Re Englund: have heard a number of his works - quite good in my opinion. Stylistically sometimes  like Shostakovich (and not just in the 4th symphony specifically dedicated to him, I mean) ...
Eric (who enjoys some works I've heard by Khrennikov- the first two symphonies, some of the concertos, e.g.- I hope to hear the late string quartet and cello sonata he wrote, sometime, but am not sure they've been recorded yet. The quartet's opening seems to borrow stylistically from Prokofiev in the latter's ballet mode...)
Eric