Joseph Novakovski 1800-1865 piano quintet

Started by Arbuckle, Tuesday 06 December 2011, 01:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Arbuckle

http://www.latvijasradio.lv/program/3/2011/12/20111201.htm

If interested in 19th century unsung piano quintets, there is a broadcast of the Piano Quintet of Joseph Novakovski, a Polish pianist and composer born 1800, died 1865 in Warsaw, composed chamber works, choral works, etc. about 60 pieces. Hard to find much info on him, maybe Marek knows. Go to site included above and choose Windows Player or Realaudio, it is listed at 2230

Mark Thomas

Thanks for this Arbuckle. Interesting - very much a work on the cusp between the classical and romantic idioms isn't it?

jerfilm

I recorded this and can upload it if there is some interest.

Jerry

JimL

If you would be so kind...I'm gonna snag that bear!

jerfilm

Here's the download:

http://www.mediafire.com/?v2g0hdbq28a2bz3

Piano Quintet in Mibemol mažorā op. 17
Someone smarter than me will have to tranlate that one......

Mihaela Ursuleasa (klavieres), Rainers Honeks (vijole), Kristiāns Frons (alts), Arto Norass (čells), Jureks Dibals (kontrabass) Varšavā, 2010

From a Broadcast on Latvian Radio

[I've copied this post to the Downloads board - Mark]

JimL

Piano Quintet in E-flat Major, Op. 17.  And I don't speak Polish.  And there's nothing on that download.  Just a white screen.  Probably needs to be moved to the downloads section anyway.

Mark Thomas

Maybe a teeny weeny "thank you" in there would have been civil, Jim?

Lionel Harrsion

Thanks, Jerry, for this download.  What a thoroughly enchanting and well-crafted piece.  In the slow movement there's a passage that reminds me distinctly of Hermann Goetz's gorgeous op 16 Piano Quintet.  The melodic curve and the harmony seem very similar -- does anyone else hear this or is it just me?

Mark Thomas

On second hearing, the work is more romantic than I thought and, as Lionel says, thoroughly delightful. The full details, which I'll repeat in the Downloads Discussion board, are:

Józef NOWAKOWSKI (1800-1865)

Piano Quintet No.2 in E-flat Major op. 17 (1857)
I. Allegro
II. Scherzo
III. Andante
IV. Allegro
Mihaela Ursuleasa, piano; Rainers Honeks, violin; Kristians Frons, viola;
Arto Norass, cello & Jureks Dibals,double bass

I don't hear the similarity with Goetz, except that he too uses a double bass and that lends a more velvety texture of course. I see that Novakovski (or Nowakowski, I guess we'd normally write nowadays) wrote an earlier Piano Quintet, two symphonies, four overtures and a string quartet, but that most his music was for piano. I'd certainly like to hear more by him if this engaging work is typical.

jerfilm

Thanks Mark for all of that additional information.   Sorry I should have put this in the download section to start with.  Wasn't sure where to put it and figured you'd catch it and transfer it.

Jerry

JimL

Got it this time!  Thanks, Jerry!  Hey, I'm in L.A. (Marina Del Rey) if you're coming out to P.S.  Maybe we could meet up.