News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Striking Concertos

Started by Peter1953, Tuesday 29 September 2009, 17:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

Some composers wrote concertos, all pleasant to hear, but to be honest, nothing really special. However, they succeeded in composing one or two concertos which are (and this is of course very personal) in emotion, depth, structure, development, well, to put it simple: in tunes and themes so far above the average of their other concertos.
Peter_Conole wrote: I am very fond of have the winsome beginning of Hummel's late classical op 110. I think this Piano Concerto (1814) is so classical, so predictable in its development, and therefore not really stirring (sorry, Peter). But Hummel composed also op. 85 and op. 89. Fabulous concertos, full of elegance, I think far above everything else he composed.
Another example is the 3rd Piano Concerto, op. 58, by Moscheles. So beautiful, full of emotional passages in all 3 movements, so magical. Why didn't Moscheles continued in composing similar concertos 4-7 (sorry, Jim)?

My question to you is: do you know other examples of composers who wrote a truely exceptional concerto, in tunes and depth raising far beyond the rest of his average output?

thalbergmad

Henselt immediately comes to mind. Whilst i do not accuse him of being a one piece wonder, i do not think he ever rose to the same heights as his concerto.

Schytte also wrote a stunning concerto, but i have not found similar joy in his solo works, although i have experienced but a few.

I expect there are better examples than these, but my after dinner wine is beginning to cloud my senses.

Thal

Peter1953

Thal, what is your opinion of Henselt's Études op. 2 & 5 (Piers Lane on Hyperion)?

thalbergmad

I tend to easily forget that which does not impress me, but i admit i have not listened to them for some time.

The Donizetti variations have always been a favourite of mine and i recall some beauty in some of the nocturnes, but cannot recall the etudes.

Must give them another listen if my chaotic filing system allows me to locate the CD.

Thal

JimL

Sorry, but I find different things in different concertos.  I like just about all the Moscheles works, but must admit that the 1st and 6th are at the bottom of my list.  I wouldn't do without the 2nd or 4th.

thalbergmad

I do have a soft spot for Moscheles and I could listen to the 4th all day & perhaps the 7th as well, but all things considered, I prefer Kalkbrenner and Herz from that period.

Thal

John H White

Personally, I would say that Sterndale Bennett's 4th piano concerto eclipses anything else I have heard from that composer; but then I haven't heard his 6th piano concerto nor am I likely to hear it, as explained in a previous post on the old forum.

Peter1953

Thank you for your posts.
Jim, like you I also like all Moscheles's piano concertos, but for me the 3rd creates an extraordinary subtle, emotional atmosphere that lacks in the other 6 concertos. But I understand you saying that you hear different things in different concertos. I'm not discussing his piano solo works, or chamber music, because these are without exception all wonderful, in particular op. 70 and 95.
Thal, the concerto by Schytte has been on my wanting list for a few years. Maybe I ought to by the disc now it's mentioned. I hope the other two PC's are pleasant too. Any more information?
John, I've always been quite fond of Sterndale Bennett. I love his 4th piano concerto, but the other four as well, although I feel he copied Mendelssohn too much (Mendelssohn is far more outstanding, however).

An example of what I mean is the very sung Joseph Haydn. He composed 11 piano concertos. Nos. 1-10 are nice, however rather predictable. But in what kind of optimistic mood was he during composing his 11th in D Major, Hob.XVIII/11? Was he in love again? What an explosive of sparkling themes, so stunning. Have you ever heard the performance by Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli? A bit ancient, but still unsurpassed.

Back to our unsung heroes. I'm thinking of the violin vituoso Heinrich Wilhelm Ernst (1814-65) in his beautiful Concerto in F sharp minor, op. 23. All other works I know are plagiarism of Paganini, I think. But, honestly speaking, his op. 23 could have been composed by Vieuxtemps as well... What is your opinion?

thalbergmad

Hello Peter,

The disk containing the Schytte contains a rather melodic and pleasing concerto by Malling and more "later romantic" concerto by Salomon that did not appeal to me personally. That said, it is still probably the best concerto in A minor Op.54 ;D

Well worth the cash just for the Schytte.

Thal

Peter1953

Hi Thal,

What a coincidence... All the more a reason to listen to this Danish concerto as soon as possible.  ;)
I'll let you know my listening experience.

peter_conole

Hi all

I just got a timely reminder about the glories of what is still a core repertoire violin concerto, one which caused some frustration to the composer.  That is, he did not profit much from it financially and his later, very fine compositions in the same musical form never quite made it in terms of popular appeal.

I am referring to Bruch's Violin Concerto No 1. A stunning performance tonight by the London Philharmonic, Vladimir Jurowski conducting, Vadim Repin as soloist. Have never heard the like. I think it is probably in the class of work you are referring to Peter1953 - something well above the average on various levels. Joseph Joachim thought it was the finest violin concerto of all, surpassing those of Beethoven, Mendelssohn and Brahms. And Swalin in his book on the German romantic violin concerto considered the work to be unusually innovative - he lists about a dozen original features in the concerto.

Among relatively unsung concertos, I would assign Reinecke's harp concerto and violin concerto really high levels of achievement re the key points you mention - emotion, depth, structure, development and melodic invention. 

regards
Peter

Peter1953

Yes Peter, Bruch's Violin Concerto No. 1 is indeed exceptional. Utterly beautiful, every note goes through your heart. But Bruch wrote more very emotional concert pieces for violin / viola and orchestra. However, for me Brahms is the absolute top.

Reinecke, more unsung, wrote 4 very fine piano concertos, at least on the same level as his harp concerto I think. I don't know his violin concerto, unfortunately.

JimL

I find Reinecke's PCs rather erratic.  Of the 4 the last is probably the least distinctive, although the sheer memorability of its material makes its neglect somewhat mystifying.  Maybe the fact that its style was extremely conservative for its timeprovides a possible explanation.  The 2nd (actually the 1st, chronologically) has the best overall material, but there are structural problems with the finale (due, in part, to the composer's clumsy, and rather unnecessary attempts at a cyclic relatiohship between the 2nd and 3rd movements) that render it less than wholly satisfactory, although still worthy of more frequent revival.  Of the remaining two, I rank the 3rd ahead of the 1st in terms of balance between effective material and formal restraint and concision.  The cyclic aspects are well balanced and the material is inspired throughout, although the piano dominates the proceedings in the first movement a little too much.  The 1st is a dramatic and effective work, but not nearly as accomplished a piece as the 3rd.

JollyRoger

The Cello Concerto of Stephen Paulus was recently played on Minnesota Public Radio from the Aspen Festival. Quite simply, it is one of the most beautiful and original Cello Concertos I have ever heard.
Someone should record it commercially ASAP, Paulus is America's most gifted living composer.

peter_conole

Hi all

I should have mentioned this one earlier. Very striking - Wilhelm Strenhammar's Piano Concerto No 1 (1893). The Chandos recording. So far, so-so for much of the work, and then there is a sudden transformation - the extended finale in the last movement. For sheer melodic beauty, intensity, sincerity, and craftsmanship it is really hard to match from any quarter, IMO. The quality of the performance may be a major factor re the impact of the music.

regards
Peter