Alfred Hill string quartets v. 4 on Naxos (Dominion String Qt, Richard Mapp pf)

Started by eschiss1, Friday 11 November 2011, 13:37

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

not, I am fairly sure, a reissue. This has quartets 10 (with a 32-bar finale) in E, quartet 11 in D minor (both 1935) and his "Life" quintet for piano and strings (and human voices - 1912). 

The latter, probably all three, were later reworked in some way - the quintet finale first into a cantata (1933) according to Naxos' online-available notes here, then the whole work into his Joy of Life symphony in E-flat (1941). Can't remember if the 11th was arranged and in what way, just now...
The 10th quartet apparently also was arranged/became the basis of his symphony no.7 around 1956.
(No.11 was recorded back in 1999 on Marco Polo- quartets 5, 6 and 11 played by the Australian String Quartet- though I don't think they'd planned at that point to record all of them.)
According to MDT, expected out later this month.

Mark Thomas

edurban

"...Alfred Hill is rather guilty pleasure of mine."

Ditto.  Enjoy the symphonies very much.

David

semloh

Thanks. eschiss1   :)

I see that Borders hasn't listed this one yet, but has the preceding three volumes in stock. The cost of each CD is Aus$15 inc. delivery worldwide - how does that compare to what you'd pay in Europe or America?

Sounds pretty good to me.  ;)

erato

The three first volumes are on sale at mdt.co.uk at 3 £ pr disc.

Edit: Some corrections to make it look like English. :D

semloh

Quote from: erato on Saturday 12 November 2011, 08:35
The three first vulumes is on sale at mdt.co.uk at 3 £ pr disc.

Wow!   The Naxos discs 'on special' work out cheaper than buying them here in Aus., even with postage. Thanks. :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: edurban on Friday 11 November 2011, 14:59
"...Alfred Hill is rather guilty pleasure of mine."

Ditto.  Enjoy the symphonies very much.

David

Me, too...