Swedish Music for Piano and Orchestra from Sterling

Started by Peter1953, Wednesday 18 January 2012, 15:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

This seems to be an interesting release.
Norman's piece sounds the most attractive, but that must have something to do with the opus number...

eschiss1

Neat - I don't think I even noticed that coincidence... (see http://imslp.org/wiki/Concertpiece,_Op.54_(Norman,_Ludvig) for a 2-piano reduction.) Thanks!

Alan Howe

I received my copy direct from www.toccata.nu today - an expensive, but quick way of getting hold of new Sterling releases. So far I have only listened to Ludvig Norman's Concert Piece, but for those who like this repertoire it alone may be worth the price of the CD. It is constructed along the lines of similar pieces by Schumann et al, in other words a slow introduction (Andante cantabile) followed by a faster main section (Allegro appassionato); the style is also heavily influenced by Schumann, but this makes for a very attractive work overall. Performance and audio quality seem well up to Sterling's usual standards. More on the Ballad by Rangström and the Concert Piece by Wiklund in due course...

Alan Howe

...However, for me the most attractive work on the CD is that by Wiklund, a really lovely late-Romantic piece dating from 1903 (it was his official Op.1). A gorgeous Andante maestoso is followed (seamlessly) by a bold and exciting Allegro moderato with one particularly delicious dreamy passage. Eighteen and a half minutes of pure listening pleasure.

thalbergmad

The clips I have heard sound ravishing, so I am going to have to purchase this.

I have heard the Norman before, but was not overly impressed, but it is amazing what a quality recording can do to a piece.

By some coincidence the Rangstrom score was one of my Christmas presents and I had been slowly playing through it, so it will be nice to hear if a commercial recording is anything like my feeble bangings. Hopefully not.

This Sterling label is really rather special.

Thal