The Romantic Piano Concerto, Vol. 56

Started by FBerwald, Thursday 17 November 2011, 11:48

Previous topic - Next topic

FBerwald

Hyperion has announced The Romantic Piano Concerto, Vol. 56 – Kalkbrenner 2 & 3 to be released in March 2012... FInally the Kalkbrenner cycle will be complete!!

giles.enders

No it wont.  There is No.5 Op 125 for two pianos and orchestra.

Gareth Vaughan

Correct, Giles. I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for 2-piano concertante couplings for Kalkbrenner's Op. 125. An appropriate coupling might encourage Hyperion to consider it for the future - but it would need to be a work (or works) for 2 pianos & orchestra, of roughly the same period and, preferably, not recorded before.

EarlyRomantic

Instead of academic contentions, I'd like to acknowledge this release with a welcoming post.Kalkbrenners D-minor concerto and the slow movement of his A-flat major composition, from the previous RPC volume of his works, possess the elegant, dark passion which portends Early Romanticism of a high and signature quality to me. We also, thanks to the scholarship here, learn of a plan or a recording far in advance of its release. Sometimes that gestation period takes years. Sometimes it never comes to pass. I greet this release with relief, then, that it will actually happen. I invest the projected RPC release of the Pixis compositions with the same mix of excited  hope and some anxiety. If it follows this second volume of Kalkbrenner in about a year, this will personally be a highlighted span for me in this grand series. Can and will  whoever specifically knows about the Pixis concerto volume  that has been promised, give the most recent update on its status, please? I know I'm not the only one eager. Thank You.

eschiss1

doesn't seem to be an academic contention to me, but I enjoy these things... op.125 was published around 1833... hrm. (and piano duet (4h) and orchestra is out of bounds? :) and not including the already-recorded- even in this series- Mendelssohn, and the too-early Dussek op.63 (1808). Time to do some serious searching soon- today's a very busy day, but as I said, I like trying to do this, if in another thread if not in this one... )

eschiss1

Hrm. Op.102 is in the series, but how about op.101, the introduction and rondo brillant for piano and orchestra- well, maybe that will be part of volume 56 :)

giles.enders

I think the most obvious coupling for the 5th concerto would either be Carl Czerny's concerto for four hands and orchestra or possibly Josef Brozowski's Grand Allegro for two pianos and orchestra from 1846. There are also two concertos  for four hands and orchestra by Theodore Schacht 1748-1823, though I have no idea about their quality.

Gareth Vaughan

I could only think of the Czerny - but the Brozowski Grand Allegro sounds interesting.

JimL

How 'bout that Moscheles/Mendelssohn two-piano collaboration?  Concerto, variations, whatever it is?

jerfilm

But the Czerny is already widely available......

Jerry

eschiss1

As to Schacht, if you're going that early after all (instead of staying around 1825-1845), Dussek's of a younger generation and his opus 63 (1808, 2 pianos and orch.) has been recorded I think but not that often (and  this would put it back in contention then :) )

markniew

Quote from: giles.enders on Friday 18 November 2011, 10:48
I think the most obvious coupling for the 5th concerto would either be Carl Czerny's concerto for four hands and orchestra or possibly Josef Bozowski's Grand Allegro for two pianos and orchestra from 1846. There is also two concertos  for four hands and orchestra by Theodore Schacht 1748-1823, though I have no idea about their quality.

giles.enders

do you mean Jozef Brzowski (1805-1888)?
I have never heard his Grand Allegro off radio. I know and have Nocturne and Rondo for pf and string orchestra.
But I am in favour of rcording unknown Brzowski's piece

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteHow 'bout that Moscheles/Mendelssohn two-piano collaboration?  Concerto, variations, whatever it is?

Well, what is it? And, more importantly perhaps, where is it?

JimL

Good question.  Maybe someone around here knows.  And even if it can't be found, don't tell me there are NO other two-piano concertos from the period out there.  I refuse to believe that.  Although...well, failing to come up with something roughly contemporary, maybe a fresh recording of the Bruch may fill the rest of the disc.

eschiss1

Moscheles/Mendelssohn? I know of the Duo Concertant op.87b- this has optional orchestral accompaniment, I gather (don't know if the parts are lacking??).