Contemporary (i.e. still living) Composers...

Started by monafam, Thursday 08 October 2009, 13:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Pengelli

I wish someone would record Patric Standford's Fifth Symphony. I remember hearing it on R3,back in the mid 80's. I would love to hear it again,but the Beeb just keep these things languishing in their vaults. Mind you,I do wonder if anyone would sing the vocal parts as beautifully and ecstatically as Joan Rodgers. So a 'Testament' style remastering of the R3 broadcast might be the best option. A wonderfully lyrical and wacky piece which was apparently ripped to shreds by the critics at the time. It includes quotations from,if I remember correctly,Mozart's symphony No 40,and wackiest of all.Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance No1. As in the case of the late lamented Malcolm Arnold,it seems that you mix humour and serious music at your peril!
   I also wish they would record the orchestral version of Derek Bourgeois's light weight but fun,'Wine Symphony.
(Hope they're both hale & hearty,incidentally,haven't got time to check at the moment!).

Alan Howe

From time to time I add to my collection the odd CD of music by a contemporary composer of note - e.g. Davis Matthews (various of his symphonies on Dutton). I generally find that the level of dissonance and lack of clear rhythmic pacing are the real barriers to repeated listening, although I do find that composers (such as Matthews) who are trying to connect with the symphonic past have something to say. As for Birtwistle and other outright modernists, I gave up long ago when I decided that they just wrote ugly noise. Somehow, I don't think their music will last.

mbhaub

I honestly can't think of any living composer who's music I actively search out. I have some cds of living composers, but I can't say I wait for their next opus with any enthusiasm nor do I spend much time (if any) listening to their works a second time: Boulez, Essa Pekka Salonen, Jay Greenberg, Part. As much as I liked V Silvestrov's 5th symphony, the rest of his music I've heard leaves me indifferent at best. There is one composer whose recent work does interest me, and I think it holds real promise. He's 11 (!!) and understands orchestral color amazingly well. Do a Youtube search for Graham Cohen.

JimL

I dunno.  I'm kind of interested in hearing more stuff by that guy Lee Actor.  The Violin Concerto and 2nd Symphony are accessible, yet very contemporary sounding.

Amphissa

I don't buy much music by contemporary composers. Life is too short for an hour wasted on noxious, abrasive, unpleasant music.

However, I do find some of the more minimalist approaches to music accessible and worthwhile. Music like Tavener's "The Protecting Veil" (Isserlis) and "The Myrrh Bearer" (Rysanov), some of Kancelli's music (like "Styx") are certainly not anything like romantic era symphonies, but they offer a melodic foothold that most modern music seems to lack and are also far beyond typical New Age "atmosphere" recordings. I guess I find them mysterious and haunting, as if arising from some ancient place.

Pengelli

The only piece of music by Birtwistle I ever 'enjoyed' at all was 'Earthdances'. I played it a few times (I had the Collins cd single & it may still be in a box somewhere?),then that was it. I read that Jerry Garcia the 'Grateful Dead' bloke was exercising to it. Unfortunately,it didn't seem to do much for his health,as he died of a heart attack not long afterwards. Not that I am blaming HB,of course.
I do remember being quite impressed by Nicholas Maw's 'Odyssey',which seemed to draw on composers like Mahler & Richard Strauss  in an accessible and interesting way. In my opinion,still one of the only (fairly) recent works worth listening to. Not that I have listened to it to much lately, I hasten to add. Of course,Maw passed away recently,so he doesn't really fit here. But he's pretty recent.
Incidentally,you only have to mention the words 'Robert Simpson' on the R3 message board,in a debate of this kind,and things can get quite nasty! There was one bloke (?) who seemed to 'froth at the mouth' (verbally) at the very mention of the name.

M. Henriksen

Norwegian composer Egil Hovland (born 1924) is composing in various styles, including good old romantic fashion. Unfortunately, not much is available on CD. But try out his Concerto for trombone and orchestra from 1972. It is recorded by the 2L label. JPC.de has some excerpts to listen to. Great fun!

Alan Howe

Maw was a pretty conservative composer, certainly not to be compared with the noise-mongers like Birtwistle. Similarly, although Simpson's style is pretty uncompromising, at least his avowed intent is to write music connected with the past - i.e. proper symphonies!

Pengelli

I actually got into a disagreement on the R3 message board after I referred to the neglect of Simpson's symphonic output in the concert halls as a bit of a 'mystery'.
The Lachenmann supporter got very vindictive. I thought,'okay,I just stated an opinion,why get so catty about it'?.

Alan Howe

Lachenmann = Ein Mann zum Lachen!
Lachnemann's a noise-monger. Simpson's a proper composer!

chill319

I recently heard and enjoyed "'Cello Dreaming,"a 1993 work by the Australian composer Peter Sculthorpe that might appeal to some members of this forum. The work was premiered at the Manchester Cello Festival. The materials are tonal (though not tuneful in a 19th-century way). To my ears the long-breathed aesthetic has a clear lineage from Sibelius through British pastoralism as it sounded between the wars. while still sounding original, connected to its land (think outback) and culture (think Dreamtime).

Pengelli

Stockhausen is another one. I remember seeing a programme about him once. I didn't take to him even as a person. I feel that Simpson was a man of conviction & agree with his views about atonal music;although,unlike my 'friend' on the R3 Message Board, I respect someone's right to enjoy it.

Pengelli

I was going to include Rautavaara's 'Cantus Articus',but,after looking the work up, realised it  actually dates from 1972! And there I was thinking I was listening to something 'contemporary'! On the other hand,like Hovhaness's 'And God created Great Whales',isn't it just the wildlife soundtrack that makes the piece as good as it is,(or isn't ?). What about a piece of music for wolf and orchestra? Could be nice? Allot of enviromentalist types who don't normally listen to allot of classical music would probably buy it! Any other animal suggestions?!

Peter1953

Quote from: Pengelli on Friday 07 May 2010, 10:49
Any other animal suggestions?!

O yes. I've been staying in Indonesia for a long time. I've always enjoyed the concertos by crickets, frogs, gecko's, birds, and, not rarely screaming monkeys. Usually during the night, but in the rainy season also by day. These animals don't need an orchestra of strings, winds, timpani and so on. It's just magical music, if you love it.

All joking aside, the contemporary VC's by Lee Actor and Edgar Meyer are worth listening to, once a year, but for me the only real interesting contemporary composer is Thomas Schmidt-Kowalski. His tonal music in a purely romantic style is simply wonderful.

Pengelli

Or the good old British dawn chorus,sparrows excepted! All I seem to get where I live is the evocative sounds of the Council refuse van,although the odd blackbird & crow make it through. Natural musicians,eh? If only they knew!
I'm afraid I don't know the  music of Kowalski,but I shall remedy this by looking him up now.