News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Gade piano trios

Started by john_boyer, Saturday 03 December 2011, 15:39

Previous topic - Next topic

john_boyer

Trio Parnassus has recorded the complete music for piano trio by Gade for MD+G.  It's a real winner, showing Gade at his best.  In another post I mentioned that 2nd tier composers often excel in chamber music but fail in the orchestral realm.  Gade, for me at least,  has always been the opposite: first rate orchestral works and uneven chamber pieces.  Not so here!  This is the high-energy Gade of the 4th Symphony heard in the realm of chamber music.

JimL

Nice to see you again, John!  :)

Mark Thomas

kolaboy

Gade's violin sonatas are brilliant as well. The only works by him that don't click (for me) are the majority of the solo piano pieces...

britishcomposer

Quote from: kolaboy on Saturday 03 December 2011, 22:01
The only works by him that don't click (for me) are the majority of the solo piano pieces...

Maybe that's due to the less than brilliant playing of Anker Blyme who recorded the complete (?) works for Dacapo.
He seems to struggle even with Gade's modest demands...  ;)
I have different versions of the Aquarelles op. 19 and 51 and they come off much better!

kolaboy

Quote from: britishcomposer on Saturday 03 December 2011, 22:16
Quote from: kolaboy on Saturday 03 December 2011, 22:01
The only works by him that don't click (for me) are the majority of the solo piano pieces...

Maybe that's due to the less than brilliant playing of Anker Blyme who recorded the complete (?) works for Dacapo.
He seems to struggle even with Gade's modest demands...  ;)
I have different versions of the Aquarelles op. 19 and 51 and they come off much better!

I suspect you're right, BC. Those performances were nothing to write home about. The BIS disc of Gade's organ compositions (Ralph Gustafsson) came off much better, comparatively speaking  :)