Aarre Merikanto Symphonies 1 & 3 from Alba

Started by BFerrell, Friday 02 December 2011, 12:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Well, Symphony No.1 is indeed a gorgeous listen. You can play 'spot the influence', of course - and you'll certainly hear Wagner, Sibelius, Tchaikovsky, Scriabin, etc. - but in the final anaysis you'll just enjoy a knock-out piece by a 20 year-old composer who's obviously thoroughly enjoying meeting the challenge of writing a symphony. Don't miss this one...

vandermolen

vandermolen

Quote from: Tapiola on Wednesday 14 December 2011, 13:15
The second, written in memory of his brother killed in the civil war (Merikanto himself was imprisoned by the Reds) lasts over 40 minutes, but I suspect there will other premieres included.

Interesting that Madetoja's excellent Symphony No 2 was also written in memory of his brother killed in the Finnish Civil War.  I am enjoying the new Alba CD very much. It took a few listens to really appreciate the music. I found the chorale-like section in the middle of the last movement of Symphony No 1 to be very moving. I shall enjoy discovering Symphony No 2 when it is released.

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on Wednesday 04 January 2012, 21:50
The second, written in memory of his brother killed in the civil war (Merikanto himself was imprisoned by the Reds) lasts over 40 minutes, but I suspect there will other premieres included.

Interesting that Madetoja's excellent Symphony No 2 was also written in memory of his brother killed in the Finnish Civil War.  I am enjoying the new Alba CD very much. It took a few listens to really appreciate the music. I found the chorale-like section in the middle of the last movement of Symphony No 1 to be very moving. I shall enjoy discovering Symphony No 2 when it is released.

Did you order this cd directly from the comnpany, Jeffrey? I want to buy the cd (and will do so ;D) but it seems to be very expensive :(

BFerrell

MDT should have it in February's releases. It cost me approx.$40.00 from Alba directly.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on Wednesday 04 January 2012, 21:57
Quote from: vandermolen on Wednesday 04 January 2012, 21:50

Did you order this cd directly from the comnpany, Jeffrey? I want to buy the cd (and will do so ;D) but it seems to be very expensive :(

Hancock and Monks via Amazon UK Colin.  Yes, was expensive £14.99+pp but expect you'd enjoy it. It came with a 10% discount voucher from H and M for any subsequent purchase over £10.00 in the near future. No big deal but better than nothing I guess.

DennisS

I read this thread with interest and then downloaded both symphonies from the Downloads section.I very much liked what I heard, especially symphony no 3. I have consequently ordered the Alba disc directly from Alba and look forward to receiving it. The cost of ordering direct is a little high but I was very impressed by their professionalism - they confirmed despatch of the CD the day after I placed my order. Now it's just a question of how long it takes to reach me by post!

Dennis

BFerrell

Alba is very efficient. It reaches me in the USA within a week or less.

DennisS

Further to my previous post, I received my cd direct from Alba within days of placing my order. I am very impressed with their efficiency.  Re-the music itself, I am quite taken with Merikanto and enjoyed listening to both symphonies. I am particularly keen on the 3rd symphony, especially for the weight given to the woodwinds in this work. Both symphonies have lovely melodies and are very well orchestrated.

Cheers
Dennis

Dundonnell

That's very good to hear :)

It is really astonishing that Merikanto's symphonies have taken so long to be recorded commercially, in contrast with those by composers like Madetoja, Melartin, Klami, let alone the younger Englund, Kokkonen, Rautavaara, Sallinen and Aho.

Maybe someone will now record the Ernest Pingoud and, of course, the Merikanto 2nd :)

BFerrell

Dundonnell

Quote from: Tapiola on Sunday 22 January 2012, 23:26
Alba will do the 2nd this year.

Oh..that's very good news :)  Thanks for that info' :)

Sicmu

And the Merikanto 1+3 CD will become available on classiconline.com ( MP3) and Albany US in spring : save your bucks for a beer or two.

Dundonnell

Quote from: Dundonnell on Sunday 22 January 2012, 23:34
Quote from: Tapiola on Sunday 22 January 2012, 23:26
Alba will do the 2nd this year.

....'info I now realise you had provided already last month ::) My apologies for a (relatively rare) memory lapse on my part ;D

erato

This disc is now on general release at the mdt.co.uk website at a more reasonable price than when ordering from Finland.