Saint-Saens Ballet Music

Started by edurban, Thursday 01 December 2011, 15:18

Previous topic - Next topic

edurban

I saw this item on the new list from Records International, and it's a must buy for Saint-Saens fans.  Not only the (relatively) familiar ballet music from Henri VIII (borrowing a tune that also appears in Brian's 'Jolly Miller' if I remember correctly), but also the less-often encountered Etienne Marcel ballet.  The 'familiar' dance music from Ascanio, has up to now been, I think, limited to one flute piece, and no trace of the late Les Barbares has ever appeared on disc in the modern era.  On the Melba label, which has altready given us Saint-Saens' Helene and Nuit Persane.  Promises to be fascinating.

http://www.recordsinternational.com/cd.php?cd=12N043

David

eschiss1

I should hear that ballet music from Henry VIII- a book of 1000+ themes that has had many editions, one copy of which is at my family's house, quotes a few themes from the ballet music and I think other parts of the opera, and the first time I saw it after hearing the Brian I was indeed a bit surprised to see that familiar theme there (but then- they are/it is an English folktune. Both Arensky symphonies do something the same... sort of. :) ) Anyhow, agreed and thanks!

TerraEpon

Alas the disc only has like two movements from Henry VIII....though if it meant more room for the unrecorded stuff...

Mark Thomas

The tracks are available for $AS10- ($9.80 or £6.50) direct from Melba Recordings (www.melbarecordings.com.au). My copy is downloading as I type...

Paul Barasi

Unsure this is a must-buy for Saint-Saëns. I heard a H8 CD many years ago (Theatre Francais de la Musique Rouillon/Command/Vignon/CDM) and prefer much of his other work.

edurban

"...I heard a H8 CD many years ago (Theatre Francais de la Musique Rouillon/Command/Vignon/CDM) and prefer much of his other work..."

Ah, tastes differ.  That performance is available on dvd and even in the modest Compiegne production the opera really works.  I wasn't sure what to make of it at first: there are certainly times when Saint-Saens the classicist steps in just when you really want him to let loose (really true in all the SS operas I've heard,) but much of it ranks with the composer's best.  The goulish first act finale, Henry's big act 1 aria, the magnificent synod scene, and that final quartet with Henry at his most monstrous and manipulating...excellent stuff.  And the ballet, of course, which doesn't come off well on the dvd, so for a full version try the Naxos cd coupled with Delibes Sylvia.

David

Revilod

Yes, Paul .  I suggest you listen again. "Henri VIII" is a wonderful opera....and I'm not sure that "taste" is involved! It just is! Musically, it is on a par with the finest French operas ( as well as the "highlights" edurban has listed there is much wonderfully lyrical love music) and, as a psychological drama, I'm not sure that it has an equal in French operas of the time.

edurban

"...as a psychological drama, I'm not sure that it has an equal in French operas of the time..."

Very true.  Consider the final quartet:  Henry is singing passionate love music to Anne Boleyn (whom he has already marked for death, all he needs is a pretext).  He's doing this to provoke the dying Catherine of Aragon (whom he has already divorced) into a state of such fury that she will give him a letter that incriminates Anne...he has no real feelings of love at all.  Anne and her one-time paramour (the Spanish ambassor, don't ask, it's a French grand opera, not history) sing of their fear.  Catherine destroys the letter and dies, Henry threatens everybody with the ax, curtain falls.  There's nothing creepier than that passionate, insincere love music. 

David

Paul Barasi

edurban

Revilod

The final quartet  (beginning with Henri's wonderful melody "Anne, ma bien aimee" at 4 mins 48 secs on the clip edurban has posted) is a passage that Saint-Saens himself was particularly proud of. He was always enormously disappointed that "Henri VIII" failed to establish itself as a repertory opera.