News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Hubay in Berlin

Started by JimL, Sunday 04 December 2011, 15:27

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Not unrecorded, certainly, but certainly unsung enough to merit attention when performed by a major, Hubay's 3rd VC will be performed by Daniel Stabrawa and the Berlin Philharmonic today, in about 3 hours.  Ivan Fischer will be on the podium.  Here's the link: www.digitalconcerthall.com/concert/2489?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=DCH-Newsletter+fr+den+03122011&utm_content=DCH-Newsletter+fr+den+03122011+CID_b84820cf50a3ecdcc93fbd3fb11a60e5&utm_source=Email+Newsletter&utm_term=Zum+Konzert  Dohnanyi's Symphonic Minutes will also be performed.  I don't know if they've been recorded or not, but if not, maybe one of us can get on this.  Sorry for the short notice.

ajones

I heard this only recently from a friend who recommended that i should her it because she said it was really good. i could not agree more, i think that there are really a lot of talented musicians that are really worth crediting for and that they really have a good talent for music that it is really worth listening to. i do support these musicians and i am a fan of their work/

eschiss1

I will grumble a little that it wasn't one of his symphonies or operas (the little I've seen from the latter in vocal score seems intriguing) but this is still good news.

JimL

Quote from: eschiss1 on Thursday 19 April 2012, 14:48
I will grumble a little that it wasn't one of his symphonies or operas (the little I've seen from the latter in vocal score seems intriguing) but this is still good news.
Other than Bartók's Bluebeard, can you think of one Hungarian opera in the regular performing repertoire of any opera house outside of Hungary?  I'm not even too sure about Hungarian opera in Hungary.

eschiss1

I think one or two of Erkel's (Hunyadi Laszlo especially?) probably hold on by a thread inside Hungary, but it took me a moment to figure out where your response came from... erm. :) (I'm guessing Le Grand Macabre - (ok, I can't think anything of it, not having heard it yet, so removing a parenthetical comment there...) - is disqualified on several grounds - hrm. But it may be in the regular repertoire of at least one opera house; bears looking into.)

eschiss1

Repertoire of the Hungarian State Opera here: http://www.opera.hu/en/repertoar

Includes Erkel's Bank Ban (premiered 1861),
Bluebeard's Castle,
Goldmark's Taming of the Shrew,
Ranki's The Emperor's'/King Pomádé's New Clothes (have found a plot summary at length and some other info but not a date of composition or premi- ah! From operone.de, premiered 1953 Budapest.)

among other works familiar and unfamiliar.
(Nothing I see by the Austro-Hungarian Lehar. Interesting.)

alberto

I have heard Goldmark's Queen of Sheba (in Italian) at Teatro Regio in Torino, about twenty five years ago (conductor Yuri Ahronovich). And it had the Italian first performance in Torino, in the XIX century.