News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Robin Milford (1903-1959)

Started by britishcomposer, Wednesday 07 December 2011, 15:25

Previous topic - Next topic

britishcomposer

Quote from: Steppenwolf on Sunday 11 December 2011, 14:34
actually it's an mp3 file, not a midi. Of course, it's not a real interpretation, but so far, it's the only form to know this work  :)

Well, midi converted into mp3. The notation software is midi-based. But you are right, of course: it's as yet the only way to hear this work.

However, I have hesitated so far, having made some disappointing experiences with that kind of 'abstract sound': I have come to learn a few pieces of music that way but it didn't convince me. Sadly, when I later heard real recordings I couldn't get those old midi sounds out of my head. I don't wont Robin suffer the same fate...

On the other hand: I use notation software myself to listen to my own music. But then, my own stuff wil never ever be performed or recorded. ;)  ;D ;D ;D

Steppenwolf

Well, we can have a computer and a good notation software, but not an own orchestra... That's the problem  ;)
I tried to transcribe the entire symphony with a better orchestral sound (with the finale 2011)... but, it's a hard long work... and, after all, this isn't a real orchestra. So, better to wait. I'm sure this symphony will be recorded soon.   

BFerrell

This from my Milford contact today:  "I am delighted to say that there is some more movement on the symphony as there is now a possible second body interested in its performance.  There has been silence with the first group since we were last in touch.  Obviously there wont be any more news now until 2012."

Justin

Quote from: Steppenwolf on Sunday 11 December 2011, 16:22
I'm sure this symphony will be recorded soon.   

And it has! Just uploaded its world premiere recording, which was done last year at the English Music Festival. Martin Yates with the BBC Concert Orchestra.

Very romantic sound for its time. The first movement stands out to me the most, with the short theme at the beginning that is recreated at the end with the French horns.

Gareth Vaughan

How may I obtain a copy, please?

Mark Thomas

Justin

Yes, sorry. There was probably a delay between this announcement and it showing up on the downloads board.

semloh

Thank you for uploading the symphony, Justin. Another beloved English composer.  :)
There's a review of the Dorchester concert here:
https://arcana.fm/2019/05/28/english-music-festival-bbc-co-martin-yates/

I note that the Robin Milford Trust names this as "First Symphony, Op.34", as distinct from the "Symphony No.1", of unknown date. I was also unable to find the movement titles.

Justin

London Music Press has the score, and they call it "Symphony No. 2."

https://www.londonmusicpress.com/orchestral-woks/robin-milford-symphony-no2-full-score

For 390 pounds, we can find out the movement titles.  ;D

eschiss1

Maybe email the Milford Trust and/or London Music Press and just ask the movement headers before buying expensive parts (not score, apparently...) in order to answer just one question, though. :)

Gareth Vaughan

I have a copy of the score of the Milford Symphony, supplied to me many years ago, at an extremely modest fee, by The Milford Trust. The movements are:

1. Andante
2. Scherzo - Allegro
3. Lento
4. Allegro

I also have a full set of printed parts, should any orchestra wish to perform it.

Mark Thomas

Thanks for the movement titles, Gareth. It's a well written, imaginatively scored and very accessible work, but I do feel that it's rather let down by the short, breezily repetitive finale.

Alan Howe

Yes - thanks, Gareth. I have added the movement titles to the details on the download page.

Gareth Vaughan

Quotebefore buying expensive parts (not score, apparently...)

Yes. The score is advertised at £25.

Justin

Wonderful! Thank you, Gareth.

It's strange, though. I wouldn't consider the first movement to be Andante, although it is quite lyrical.