News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Langgaard String Quartets

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 13 December 2011, 22:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

For the Langgaard fans among you (I'm not really one), Dacapo are planning to bring out his String Quartets next year...
http://www.dacapo-records.dk/en/news-a-sneak-preview-at-2012.aspx

eschiss1

I thought there already was a recording of his string quartets out some years back, though I haven't yet heard it- maybe it was just of a few of them. Anyhow and even if so, the more the merrier...

J.Z. Herrenberg

Thanks for spotting this.  I, too, remember a string quartet or two already present on CD, but this series will give us all of them. Excellent news!

erato

I'm sitting with a 2 CD dacapo set of the complete Langgaard quartets issued in 93 and played by the Kontra quartet in my hands. Haven't listened to it for some years, but seem to remember it didn't catch fire. 

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: erato on Friday 16 December 2011, 19:48
I'm sitting with a 2 CD dacapo set of the complete Langgaard quartets issued in 93 and played by the Kontra quartet in my hands. Haven't listened to it for some years, but seem to remember it didn't catch fire.

Perhaps the younger generation will have more luck...

erato

The Kontra's did a great job with Holmboe, so I suspect it was the music, but in general I'm not terribly conviced by Langgaard. Time will tell

J.Z. Herrenberg

Langgaard is a prolific but uneven composer. Still, once you like his sound-world, it's difficult not to find the pearls (a melody, a harmony) even among his lesser productions.