Thieriot and Fuchs Clarinet Quintets from Sterling

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 15 October 2011, 17:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Although the Fuchs has been recorded before, I don't think the lovely-sounding Thieriot Clarinet Quintet in E flat has been before now...
http://www.sterlingcd.com/catalogue/cda1674.html

Mark Thomas

eschiss1

Even though this is Fuchs' most often (I think so, anyway) recorded work, I agree (and I still, I think, have heard by Thieriot only two brief organ works- but what I have seen looks intriguing.)

Alan Howe

eschiss1

In regards Thieriot his octet op.62 is being performed next year in New York City (twice on May 21, Jupiter Symphony Chamber Players . http://www.bachtrack.com/find-a-concert/what/composer=9808-thieriot e.g.)

Mark Thomas

And I'd recommend anybody in the New York area to be in the audience. I've been to three or four Jupiter Chamber Players recitals, which are held in a converted church just around the corner from the Lincoln Center. The participants are often graduates of the Julliard School, itself right next door, and the performances of unsung repertoire have been of a uniformly high standard. Greatly to be recommended.

eschiss1

oh, the Thieriot isn't the only... (well.. .they're playing Kalkbrenner, Farrenc, and quite a lot else this season, as I recall. Naturally, I live 5 hours away by car- and don't have a car. Though I do visit the general area about once a month for other reasons, I haven't attended a concert of theirs yet- intending for that to change soon :) )

Alan Howe

Thieriot's Clarinet Quintet in E flat from 1897 is yet another mellifluous work from the pen of this composer. Clearly Brahms overshadowed most other composers in this corner of the repertoire in the final third of the nineteenth century, but we now know that there were others who were skilled in their own right, and Thieriot is definitely one of them. Wonderful craftsmanship, great writing for the instruments, tunes galore - what more can one ask from such music? Another winner from Sterling...

Mark Thomas

The Thieriot is indeed lovely. It's the musical equivalent of a piping hot chocolate drink on a cold night - absolute heaven.