News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Women unsungs

Started by Lew, Wednesday 28 October 2009, 13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Hrm, and there's another recording of the Cello sonata in E minor on "celliris'" channel from what seems to be a live performance (I tend to prefer those especially since the "other kind" have this unaccountable habit of disappearing periodically...) (see first movement et seq.)

Gareth Vaughan

Like Ilja, I've just discovered Garuta's PC - and it is, indeed, SUPERB.  And, to my ear, at least (and I know these things are subjective) a real Northern concerto. It seems to possess an "icy" lyricism. Anyway, whether it makes that impression on you or not, I highly recommend it. Available on YouTube.

eschiss1

FBerwald:
"I once heard a waltz by a female composer on the radio. The announcer called her the "Female Strauss"." -
hrm... Ravel once dedicated a work of his to "The American Female Strauss, Hilda Emery Davis." (or something?)

Not even nearly a Joseffine, but might be who you heard?

LateRomantic75

My favorite woman unsung is Pejacevic, whose big-boned late-romantic music is tailor-made for my tastes. Farrenc is one of my favorite unsung early romantics, with her three stirring, Beethovenian symphonies. Emilie Mayer's Fifth Symphony is another highly-charged piece of early romantic symphonism. Lillian Elkington's tone poem Out of the Mists was a major discovery for me-a hauntingly beautiful work that makes one despair that it is her only surviving orchestral work! There's a similarly bittersweet situation with Lili Boulanger, who only left us the intensely beautiful Psalms 24 and 130 and Faust et Helene and a few smaller works.

jerfilm

Is the Elkington something that has been recorded somewhere, sometime??

Jerry

Mark Thomas

Dutton Epoch CDLX 7122

Gareth Vaughan

Lilian Elkington's superb little masterpiece Out of the Mist is supremely moving. I programmed it in a concert I organised at The Cadogan Hall three years ago.

jerfilm

bulleid_pacific

@Mark I think that should be CDLX 7172 for the Elkington...

vicharris

I have the Elkington on a Cameo CC9041CD, although they misspelled her name.

Mark Thomas

QuoteI think that should be CDLX 7172 for the Elkington
Quite correct. It's here.

Mark Thomas

Many thanks to Ilja and Gareth, both of whom praised Lucija Garuta's magnificent Piano Concerto. What a find. There's an austere nobility to it, a sort of craggy lyricism, which is really impressive and quite affecting. It's a shame that she composed so little, but I see that a Piano Trio is also available on YouTube, and that's my next stop....

Richard Moss

To try and amplify Gareth's CD notes re Elkington 'Out of the Mist', I took my 'web-paddling' skills (limited though they are!) for a short spin and found the attached link.

http://www.maudpowell.org/signature/Portals/0/pdfs/signature/Signature_Autumn_2008.pdf

Goodness knows what other treasures may be buried within their vaults?

Cheers

Richard

minacciosa

There's also Maria Bach (1896-1978). She is described in the Encyclopedia of Women Composers as a follower of Korngold (who she knew rather well), but her only composition teacher was Joseph Marx. One would think that should be enough to mount a major investigation. She certainly had enough public success to warrant reexamination of her work. Little has been written about her, but there is a significant chapter devoted to her in the book Five Lives In Music, by Cecelia Hopkins Porter. You can read a little of it here: http://goo.gl/xG1hka. I should really look into this.

jerfilm

Thanks, Mark, for the tip on the Piano Trio - one (of many I suspect) that I've missed on YouTube.....

J