News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Musical storms

Started by febnyc, Saturday 14 January 2012, 18:22

Previous topic - Next topic

fr8nks

The second movement of Kurt Atterberg's Symphony No.3 is entitled "Storm". It is about a storm at sea and when you listen to this 11:00 minute movement you can feel the waves swaying the boat back and forth. The movement begins quietly and then the storm approaches and reaches a full climax and then dies away leaving a peaceful calm.

All nine of Atterberg's symphonies are well-constructed and lyrical. His Piano Concerto is ultra romantic. There are at least two CD labels that recorded his complete symphonies.

albion

Quote from: Jimfin on Sunday 15 January 2012, 00:26Sullivan made a couple of contributions: the ballet "L'ile Enchantee", the Prelude to "The Golden Legend" and Act II of "Haddon Hall".

Sullivan began his public career with a storm - Incidental Music to The Tempest (1861-62). His Shakespeare scores (later incidental music to The Merchant of Venice, 1871, The Merry Wives of Windsor, 1874, Henry VIII, 1877 and Macbeth, 1888) contain some absolutely superb music: The Tempest was the first triumph of Sullivan's career when played at the Crystal Palace in 1862 following his return from Leipzig.

The Suite from The Tempest has been recorded three times: CBSO/ Vivian Dunn (EMI, 1972), BBC PO/ Richard Hickox (Chandos, 2000) and Kansas City SO/ Michael Stern (Reference, 2008) - all excellent versions which bring out the power of Sullivan's invention.

alberto

There are still the "Sturmisch bewegt" sections in Mahler First Symphony finale.

Jimfin

Oh, looking forward to hearing that "Tempest", Albion! I've only got an old tape of an amateur recording of much of it, plus of course the Hickox suite. Sullivan's incidental music never fails!

albion

Quote from: Jimfin on Monday 16 January 2012, 12:31Oh, looking forward to hearing that "Tempest", Albion!

Sorry Jim, semloh has tracked down a CD release of Adler's recording - http://gasdisc.oakapplepress.com/sullinst-adler.htm - so I have withdrawn my copy.

The performance is well worth hearing for the additional vocal items.

:)

Lionel Harrsion

There was a broadcast on 30 January 1978 by the BBC Northern Ireland Orchestra under Marcus Dods of some of the Sullivan Tempest music (including the songs 'Come unto these Yellow Sands' and 'When the Bee Sucks' sung by Irene Sandford).  I presume this was never commercially released and so if anyone has it...  I'll duplicate this post on the 'requests' board!

Jimfin

Dundonnell

I am pretty sure that I have this performance on tape :)

How good the recording is I cannot yet determine since the tape it is on snapped during rewind a few minutes ago and will have to be patched ::)

I shall digitise the recording and send it to Albion :)

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: Dundonnell on Monday 16 January 2012, 19:52
I am pretty sure that I have this performance on tape :)

How good the recording is I cannot yet determine since the tape it is on snapped during rewind a few minutes ago and will have to be patched ::)

I shall digitise the recording and send it to Albion :)
Colin, you're worth your weight in cocky's feathers!  ;D

Arbuckle

Are cocky's feathers the same as GOLD?, then I concur.

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: Arbuckle on Monday 16 January 2012, 21:52
Are cocky's feathers the same as GOLD?, then I concur.
Yes, they are! ;)

Dundonnell

Aahh :(

The recording I have is the Vivian Dunn/City of Birminghjam SO performance. This has never been transferred to cd so if there is any interest in it then I can certainly upload the performance now that I have digitised it ???

theqbar

I think nobody has mentioned so far the tempest in the opening scene of Gluck's Iphigenie en Tauride. Amazing piece, considering that it was composed in 1778-9.

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: Dundonnell on Monday 16 January 2012, 22:36
Aahh :(

The recording I have is the Vivian Dunn/City of Birminghjam SO performance. This has never been transferred to cd so if there is any interest in it then I can certainly upload the performance now that I have digitised it ???
I would be very interested and I'd bet I'm not alone!  Thank you.  :)

Dundonnell

Ok.

Links to Sullivan's Incidental Music to "The Tempest" and also Overture "In Memoriam" sent to Albion. Should be available soon.

Sorry the performance is the Dunn rather than the Marcus Dods :(  I suppose this reduces my weight and value ??? ;D