Paul Paray Symphonies Nos. 1 and 2

Started by Dundonnell, Saturday 28 January 2012, 19:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Only "new recordings" in the sense that they are new to me ;D...........

I would certainly like to thank Alan for alerting me to the existence of the Grotto cd coupling the two Paray symphonies. The cd arrived from the USA this morning and whilst the symphonies are not masterpieces they are definitely highly attractive works in the best tradition of early 20th century French symphonism and would appeal, I think, to those who like d'Indy, Magnard, Ropartz etc. The Second "Le Treport" is particularly good.

Unfortunately the cd gives absolutely no information whatsoever about the orchestra-the Assumption Grotto Orchestra-or the conductor-Eduard Perrone. The Assumption Grotto is apparently a Roman Catholic Church in Detroit and the location for the recording. Paray was of course the Principal Conductor of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra from 1951 until 1962. (I understand that the Detroit Symphony Orchestra under Leonard Slatkin is back in the concert-hall after a six month strike by the musicians.)

Alan Howe

I imagine that the orchestra is a pick-up ensemble - maybe including some DSO players?

petershott@btinternet.com

Father Eduard Perrone is the remarkably active Pastor of the Assumption Grotto Roman Catholic Church in Detroit. I say 'remarkably active' since his bulletins indicate he takes his pastoral duties most seriously, and he can often be found buzzing away in various Catholic publications and websites. On top of that, there are his musical activities and in particular (the precise reasons being unknown to me) Paul Paray. I believe the 'Grotto CDs' are entirely his own initiative - he writes most of the accompanying notes, takes the piano part in several, and of course conducts. I'm told that Perrone's Masses in the church are quite some events.

The orchestra always seems to be referred to as 'containing professional musicians', and I guess Alan is right in thinking it contains some DSO players. Maybe they are themselves Catholic and the venture is important to them. Certainly the standard of playing on the orchestral CDs is impressive.

I don't happen to have the CD of the two symphonies (I only have the 1st - Royal Scottish National Orchestra / James Paul, on a Reference Recordings CD in which it is C/W the Mass for the 500th Anniversary of the Death of Joan of Arc), but I can warmly recommend:
GP-0004 Songs and Choral Works
GP-0007 Chamber Music
GP-0008 Works for Piano

Hope that little information helps. Maybe there is a friend in or about Detroit who can tell us more - in particular, why Perrone (who is obviously quite some character) has a particular commitment to Paray.

Dundonnell

Thanks, Peter, for that very helpful information :)