News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Edgar Meyer VC

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 21 October 2009, 22:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

If you haven't yet heard Hilary Hahn's CD of the Barber Violin Concerto on Sony, you have been missing a reat treat. Not only is the Barber wonderful, but you will have the opportunity to hear another very approachable and tune-filled modern-day VC - that by Edgar Meyer. And Hahn's playing reveals her to be one of today's supreme virtuosos...

Amphissa

I like her playing a lot, and have enjoyed this CD for years.

If you like Edgar Meyer's VC, you might also enjoy his two concertos for double bass, and his Double Concerto for Double Bass and Cello (with Yo-Yo Ma)

You might also try the Double Violin Concerto of Mark O'Connor, and his "Fiddle Concerto". He and Meyer have played together in various ensembles for years and they share a similar language.

peter_conole

Hi all

Many thanks for mentioning Mr Meyer's concerto. I have been in love with the work since finding it by way of a 'spot purchase' some time ago. I acquired his double bass concerto at the same time - but that disc soon went the way of all flesh, ie, sold second-hand. The work simply did not appeal to me. The violin concerto is really something - will catch up with the Schmidt-Kowalski and Actor concertos soon.

Note: I discovered yet another eclectic violin concerto with an array of tonal and romantic influences at a concert last weekend. An Australian composer named Ross Edwards - his 'Maninyas' violin concerto from about 1988. Worth the effort.

regards
Peter

Peter1953

Yes, Meyer's VC is indeed worth a listen. I find it both curious and approachable. This VC, written for Hilary Hahn in 1999, has two movements of which the 2nd is, I think, the most interesting part. The first 6 minutes of this movement is magical, even almost spiritual music, and then all of a sudden a totally different atmosphere is created: joyous folk music, but only for some 4:30 minutes, then followed by the same mysterious opening music, ending in a cheerful folk-like style. It is very sensitive and beautifully played by Hilary Hahn.

Meyer's VC is hardly comparable to the VC of Actor, his contemporary fellow American. Two totally different concertos, but interesting enough to hear one after another. If you do that, you could end up with Schmidt-Kowalski's 2nd VC, which is really written in a romantic style.
Which one of these 3 concertos do you like best?