News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Dvorak operas

Started by Alan Howe, Saturday 11 February 2012, 19:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

eschiss1

IMSLP has only the first-edition 1885 vocal score at this time (and perhaps some interesting links :) ). He did say -full- score. Since it was first published in the UK, I wonder if that makes it more or less likely that the full score is available for free (or given things nowdays, at a reasonable price, though if it was published in 1885 too, I would have assumed it would be out of copyright there as here, if that matters)..

Jim

Thanks. I have a physical copy of the Novello edition of 1885 and considering this version was performed in the UK I am surprised that there seems to be no performing materials or full scores available to borrow - or buy! IMSLP have long used confusing terminology like 'full score' for complete vocal score and 'complete score' for god knows what! - it is always best to have a quick browse. Full score, vocal score and choral score should all be self-explanatory to musicians!

eschiss1

I don't know if this is available in the UK, unfortunately, but MPH does it seems? have a full score available (72 Euros)? As to IMSLP, full score (=vertical) should mean orchestral score (possibly incomplete), complete score (=horizontal) should mean from page 1 to etc. even if only vocal score- this is sometimes applied inconsistently throughout the site because, surprise, there is no one or small group of people uploading things and writing in "full" or "complete" etc and possibly getting it wholly wrong, and the small group of admins who do check that sort of thing from time to time, including me, are a bit teensy bit overwhelmed, we do try to verify that things like that are correct but sometimes we can be years late in fixing things and even then people- lots of people- do get on our case for being prissish about it, ok?...

Jim

OK, just my 'vocal score' contributions were re-labelled 'complete score' by admins, and not 'complete vocal score' (eg. see Parry: Lotos Eaters).

Thanks for the link, very useful.

eschiss1

That's because the header "Vocal Score" should convey the information, while "Complete Score" contains only the information that it's not lacking any pages, hence Complete Score in the Vocal Scores heading -is- a complete vocal score. This may be a term of art on the site, but it's explained on the site and people using the site are asked to check pages where it's explained before starting, iirc.

Masterraro

There is a score of Spectre's Bride listed on ebay (under books) for £44 + £9 postage

Alan Howe

I decided to buy Albrecht's recording of Wanda/Vanda. It's a very enjoyable listen, brim full of Czech-inflected Dvořákian melody, all superbly done under this fine conductor. Not a masterpiece, I think - it's too diffuse for that - but worthy of any opera lover's attention and offering hours of pleasure.

Kevin

I'm glad you enjoyed it Alan - it's a good score like you said. Composed at the same time as his first true masterpiece the 5th symphony.

Have you tried Dmitji? an even finer work than Vanda if you can believe it.

Alan Howe

I have Dimitrij, yes. Must go back and give it a listen.

Kevin

Here's a fascinating article on his operas. It focuses on Jakobin and Rusalka.

https://yorkspace.library.yorku.ca/xmlui/handle/10315/34990

eschiss1

Incidentally and with apologies for a too subjective post: have still only heard the first two acts of Rusalka- concentration issues have not gotten better recently, can't imagine- but will listen to the final soon and basically stunned? by the first two acts.
(It's been a spring/summer for revelations. Another being that I might give Italian opera a try finally- and I liked it. Better late than never!!)

Kevin

I don't quite follow you.. stunned because you thought Rusalka was good? or bad?

eschiss1

I was expecting it to be good, had remembered the part of it I'd heard awhile back was good, but a bit stunned just how very good it was.

Kevin

I understand now. Thanks!