Glière Symphony No.3 'Ilya Murometz'

Started by mbhaub, Sunday 12 February 2012, 00:08

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

The Farberman? Yes.

As to Downes, I'll see if I can find a library I have access to with both the score and the Downes recording, for some sitting-down-comparing, one-of-these-days. The score has been reissued by Russian Music Archives (418 pp, miniature score, 2009 - I think to make it briefer one would have to choose an Enescu 3 solution*)- New York Public Library system which I have occasional access to has that, and one newer recording (Russian Disc 1994) (and some LPs) of the work, but not, I think, the Downes... hrm... (edit: oh yes, they do. Good, good, good, good.)

* Enescu sym. 3, in its first full score issue, was published in this almost illegible miniature score, as I recall (from looking at it- NYPL again- awhile ago, not from third-hand rumor :) ) Briefer piece, but similarly huge orchestra...

TerraEpon

In the previous thread someone said both Downes and Brostein were slightly cut.

No need to use a library though: http://imslp.org/wiki/Symphony_No.3,_Op.42_%27Ilya_Murometz%27_%28Gli%C3%A8re,_Reinhold%29

eschiss1

Since I don't have the Downes, my reason for using a library would be that the recording and score would be right there in front of me at the same lib - which fortunately I think they would be at the NYPL, given a couple of hours (which I think could be arranged sometime 2014...). I don't have portable (eg Blackberry, iPhone, ...) internet access, I should explain, nor any intention of printing out 438 pages and carrying them in my rucksack... (I live 5 hours by bus from that library! :D )

TerraEpon

You can't take the CD out and play it at home?

I've been pondering doing it myself, but it's easy to get lost when score reading for 75 minutes...

eschiss1

Ah! Actually, Concertzender just broadcast Downes' Murometz today, and one can still hear it.  So the whole thing is moot... (the link can easily be websearched at their site or under today's (1/4, not 1/5)'s concertlistings...)

chill319

Quote... a fascinating article on Falletta and the new recording...
It quite whetted my appetite for hearing her recording with the Buffalo PO.

mbhaub

She just did a concert series here in Phoenix. Enescu Romanian Rhapsody 1, Ginastera Harp Concerto, Beethoven 5. Can she whip up a frenzy! The Beethoven I've heard in concert more times than I remember, but she made it thrillingly exciting, not neglecting the more subtle characteristics. The Enescu was hair-raising. I can't stand the Ginastera. Anyway, if she brings the same sense of excitement to the Gliere as she did in this concert, it will be something to look forward to.

alberto

I gather that Ilya Murometz conducted by Scherchen (through the LP I "learnt" -if I did- to know the work) has been re-released in Cd by ... Deutsche Gramophon. But one has to buy a huge box of 40 Cds "The Westminster Legacy" ( it may be seen in then D.G. site).

sdtom

www.rediscovery.us

If you go to the above link you can download it for free.
Tom

adriano

Hi there :-)
The Scherchen is for me too, the best and most "correct" version. And consider Westminster's excellent mono sonics of 1952! I have made my own clean digital transfer, incidentally, and copied it to my "Desert Island" iPod. The Downes version is also quite impressive and luscious. I also feel disappointed by Botstein - and Farberman is a total bore.
In other words, in my collection I have only so-called "complete" versions with: Scherchen - Farberman - Johanos - Talmi - Downes - Botstein - Golovchin - Rakhlin and, of course, a full score! All those old abridged versions on LP were thrown away long ago, after I had studied the score.

adriano

Oh, I just see than Naxos has released another Ilya Muromets' these days, with the Buffal Philharmonic conducted by JoAnn Falletta... Have we first woman conducting this epic?
http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.573161

edent

I have a recording of Gliere Symphony 3   by the BBC Philharmonic with Vassily Sinaisky. My notes say it was originally broadcast from the Bridgewater Hall on 1 April 2005 - unless it's an April Fool's joke! - and runs for 78 minutes. I could try to get my head around uploading it if anyone is interested.

Amphissa

Hadrianus, I think the Talmi is not complete. It is only 66 minutes. Even Botstein, who races through it at breakneck pace, as if it were a race against death, still required a lot more time than that. I think the Golovchin is also not complete, but I am unable to compare the recording to the score.

adriano

Hi Amphissa
I may be wrong in calling some of the above mentioned recordings "complete", let's call them "almost complete". Still, they are not as disastrously cut like so many older ones which had to be done one one LP. Of course I could write an exact comparison with the score of each recording, but there are more important thinks in life to do, such as to listen and to enjoy the piece (that I may be allowed to perform or to record it is hopeless). Musicologists and critics have the right atittude and character for such analytical jobs.

Alan Howe

Falletta's performance gets a 4-star rating in the Daily Telegraph Review of Feb 1st (maximum: 5-stars).