News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Stanley Bate

Started by Pengelli, Monday 09 November 2009, 17:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

Having been a trifle surprised and, I have to admit, disappointed by Arnell's more modernist  6th Symphony I was a bit wary of the unfinished 7th but-as you say-Martin Yates has done a superb job and the 7th really is a most moving work :)

Hugely impressed just now by Maurice Jacobson's huge Cantata "The Hound of Heaven" :) :)

Gareth Vaughan

So far Dutton have confined themselves to those scores of Bate's published by Lengwick and now controlled by "The Music Group" - in other words, those with performing materials readily available.  The other orchestral music, including the later PCs and the VCs remains in MS - mostly in the RCM. I really hope Dutton continues to explore this composer, but it will require just a bit more determination on their part if these other works are to be recorded. The PCs are particularly problematic because Bate labelled a number of differing MSS, some incomplete, as No. 3. The RCM does not seem to have No. 4, but it is not entirely clear - someone needs to do some work here. VC No. 2 seems only to exist in a MS piano/violin score, though full scores of 1 & 3 are held in the RCM.

albion

Thanks, Gareth - that is a very interesting point you have made regarding the works selected. I think that a good way to encourage Dutton to invest long-term in Stanley Bate would be for members of this forum to purchase every relevant disc and then 'press-gang' their friends to do the same.

Oh, and don't forget to email Dutton regularly with eloquent requests for further recordings!

;)

eschiss1

I hope the estate would be willing to cooperate with someone in letting them make performing editions in part to make it easier for Dutton or other interested companies if any (I know that the Sorabji Archive charges a moderate fee for copies of scores but that seems reasonable (I acquired a print copy of their microfilm of one of his later works that way, and planned to typeset it though nothing came of that for various reasons having to do with me.))

albion

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Wednesday 12 October 2011, 22:10The PCs are particularly problematic because Bate labelled a number of differing MSS, some incomplete, as No. 3. The RCM does not seem to have No. 4, but it is not entirely clear - someone needs to do some work here. VC No. 2 seems only to exist in a MS piano/violin score, though full scores of 1 & 3 are held in the RCM.

Let's hope that Bate's scores can be put in order - I would particularly love to hear Violin Concerto No.3: anything which provokes the response

... a worthless piece of undistinguished pastiche ... Bate's mind is totally devoid of distinction

from the BBC can't be all bad!

;D

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteI hope the estate would be willing to cooperate with someone in letting them make performing editions in part to make it easier for Dutton or other interested companies

That assumes there is an estate. Quite often there isn't.

Gareth Vaughan

Quoteanything which provokes the response

... a worthless piece of undistinguished pastiche ... Bate's mind is totally devoid of distinction

from the BBC can't be all bad!

Hear! Hear!

Dundonnell

From what I could gather(which may be wildly inaccurate ;D):

Piano Concerto No.1 was a student work, completed probably in 1934 and given a first performance in December 1934 at the Royal College of Music.
Piano Concerto No.2, commissioned by Sir Henry Wood,  was completed in May 1940 and premiered on 8 February 1942 in New York with the composer as
        soloist  and Beecham conducting the New York City Symphony Orchestra.
Piano Concerto No.3(1) was begun in October 1951 and completed in August 1952 but then set aside.
Piano Concerto No.3(2) was premiered on 30 August 1957 with the composer as soloist and John Hollingsworth conducting the BBC Symphony Orchestra.
Piano Concerto No.4 was completed but never performed.
Piano Concerto No.5 was incomplete when the composer died.

Violin Concerto No.1 was completed in November 1937.
Violin Concerto No.2, Op.43 was written in 1943 but not premiered until a broadcast on Dutch Radio in February 1951 by Nap de Klijn.
Violin Concerto No.3, Op.58 was written between 1947 and 1950 and premiered on 11 June 1953 by Antonio Brosa with the London Symphony Orchestra under
     Richard Austin.

albion

Looks pretty comprehensive.

:)

albion

Quote from: Dundonnell on Wednesday 12 October 2011, 22:59Piano Concerto No.1 was a student work, completed probably in 1934 and given a first performance in December 1934 at the Royal College of Music.
Piano Concerto No.2, commissioned by Sir Henry Wood,  was completed in May 1940 and premiered on 8 February 1942 in New York with the composer as
        soloist  and Beecham conducting the New York City Symphony Orchestra.
Piano Concerto No.3(1) was begun in October 1951 and completed in August 1952 but then set aside.
Piano Concerto No.3(2) was premiered on 30 August 1957 with the composer as soloist and John Hollingsworth conducting the BBC Symphony Orchestra.
Piano Concerto No.4 was completed but never performed.
Piano Concerto No.5 was incomplete when the composer died.

Violin Concerto No.1 was completed in November 1937.
Violin Concerto No.2, Op.43 was written in 1943 but not premiered until a broadcast on Dutch Radio in February 1951 by Nap de Klijn.
Violin Concerto No.3, Op.58 was written between 1947 and 1950 and premiered on 11 June 1953 by Antonio Brosa with the London Symphony Orchestra under Richard Austin.

and here are more concertante works ...

Concertino for piano and chamber orchestra, Op.21, completed 17th December 1937 and premiered on 8th February 1938 with the composer as soloist and the Eastbourne Municipal Orchestra conducted by Kneale Kelly (RCM MS 5869)

Concertante for piano and string orchestra, Op. 24, completed in August 1938 and premiered on 5th June 1939 by Lloyd Powell as soloists and the Riddick String Orchestra conducted by Kathleen Riddick (RCM MS 5876)

Concerto for two pianos and orchestra, Op. 43, composed in 1943

Concerto Grosso for piano and strings, completed on 1 April 1952 and premiered with the composer as solois and the Paris Radio Orchestra in June 1952 (RCM MS 5867, published by Lengnick)

Cello Concerto, premiered Autumn 1954 by the Eastman Rochester Symphony Orchestra (RCM MS 5881)

Harpsichord Concerto, completed May 1955 and premiered with Yolanda Penteado Matarazzo as soloist (RCM MS 5868, published by Lengnick)

albion

And then again - as with Dutton's Arnell series, it would be wonderful to hear some of the ballet music, especially -

Perseus, Op.26, premiered 18th November 1939 (RCM MS 5915) - for orchestra
Cap Over Mill, Op.27, completed in 1939 (RCM MS 5912) - for two pianos
Highland Fling, Op.50, completed in November 1946 and premiered on 26 March 1947 (RCM MS 5913) - for orchestra
Troilus and Cressida, Op.60, completed in 1948 (RCM MS 5916) - for instrumental ensemble

Dundonnell

Thanks for the further detailed information regarding other compositions by Stanley Bate :)

Christo

As probably all of you know, there are many more details in Michael Barlow and Robert Barnett's quite substantial essay 'STANLEY BATE - Forgotten International Composer' on Musicweb: http://www.musicweb-international.com/bate/index.htm.

The line that intrigues me most is "Glanville-Hicks claimed he wrote a dozen or more symphonies ...". 

Paul Barasi

Out shopping earlier this year I had a Stanley Bate CD in my hand, going for the price of 1 Naxos and ... put it back again. [Confessions]

Christo

:'( Sins are there to be forgiven, but ...  ::) ;)