News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

piano concertos

Started by pianoconcerto, Monday 15 February 2010, 14:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

The Norma Variations are much simpler, as you say. I think one would be asking someone to do a very large amount of "inventing" - indeed composing - of their own to produce an orchestral complement to the piano part of Moscheles 8... which is not to say I would dissuade anyone who felt up to it from having a go.

thalbergmad

Tis a shame Moscheles was not English.

If he was, I would wager Prof Dibble would do a remarkable job.

Thal

JimL

No, Thal, he wasn't English, but he spent a good part of his early career in England, and composed several of his concertos there, including the 8th.  The story of the wanton destruction of the plates of the full score by the publisher back in the 1970s made the rounds of the Raff Forum a few years back.  One would hope that a printed score would turn up someplace, but so far it hasn't appeared in any of the obvious places.  :'(

pianoconcerto

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Tuesday 16 February 2010, 18:39

I have browsed your discography with great interest, but could you tell us, please, what the various symbols (+, *, **, etc.) mean before an entry?

Many thanks.

Dear friends,

The symbols help me to know in which format I have a recording in my archive.  No symbol means I do not have it (or am not permitted to acknowledge that I do).  My online discography is a short version of what I maintain offline.  My full discography has information on multiple recordings, labels, numbers, performers, etc. 

If anyone has a recording of a work without a symbol before it, please let me know.

Thanks for all the posts and emails from members.  I have already learned of several works missing from my discography.

Best,
Allan