News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)

Started by Peter1953, Wednesday 11 November 2009, 21:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter1953

These days I'm "exploring" the 9 Symphonies; the ordered cpo box arrived last week. I already had the PC and VC, both on cpo, and am impressed by all these works, in particular the Rhapsody for Piano and Orchestra (opus 1!) and the PC.
Although sometimes with a hint of romantism, it's definitely 20th century tonal music. In certain passages I hear fragments of Bruckner, Mahler (or Rott), then Sibelius, but also Bartok, just to name a few. But in general my idea is that Atterberg is a composer in his own right.

I'm interested to learn your opinion. What do you think of Atterberg's music in general? His symphonies, concertos, chamber music, and so on? Do you think his music is unique? Is it Scandinavian (he used some folk music, like in his 4th)? What other CDs do you recommend?

febnyc

IMO Atterberg is the real thing.  His music is quite recognizable and, you're correct, ideally romantic.  Every one of the works I've heard is lyrical and has lots of Scandinavian influences - power and lightness together.

Besides the symphonies, I particularly like his tone poem Älven - The River.  This, a sort of northern version of Die Moldau, is a high point of Atterberg's output.  Of course, it's never performed nor is it even hardly known.

Also the Autumn Ballads for Piano and the sonatas - violin & cello - are worthwhile and beautiful.

PS - If you can find the Musica Sveciae recording (Amazon has it) of Atterberg's Fifth Symphony (Stockholm PO/Westerberg) you will be enchanted by its discmates - a gorgeous piece called Sommarnatten by Edvin Kallstenius, and From the Great Forests by Oskar Lindberg.  Magnificent!

mbhaub

The first music of Atterberg I ever encountered was the 6th "Dollar" symphony which immediately won me over. Brilliant work. Even though the ancient sound (Toscanini) was a hindrance, the sheer joyousness of the music comes through. The BIS recording is sensational soundwise.

I picked up a disk of chamber music on Marco Polo and what's this? The 6th symphony arranged as a piano quintet -- wonderful!

I've picked up all the Atterberg I could find. The symphonies are wonderful. Modern, but totally accessible. Too bad that no one ever seems to program the music. I did get the chance to play the 3rd symphony in concert a few years ago, and I can only hope and pray that someday I get to play the 6th.

Atterberg was one heck of a man: trained engineer, superbly trained musician, lived to a ripe old age. But sadly doomed to be known only to those of us who collect cds.

DennisS

Hi all

I was literally about to open a new thread on Atterberg when I noticed I had been beaten to the punch! I am a great admirer of Atterberg and have virtually all his works, including the symphonies, the concertos and other orchestral works. I echo many of the sentiments already expressed on the forum. Reference has already been made to the 6th symphony, called the "Dollar symphony", so-called as it won a cash prize in America in a competition organised by Columbia.  I would recommend people new to his music to start with this one. The 4th symphony likewise works very well and as already stated makes very effective use of folk music. I also particularly like his first, but my real favourite is the 8th symphony. I am especially fond of the beautiful Adagio, very moving! The concertos too are wonderful. I too express my dismay that Atterberg's music is not better known, especially as he was quite a prolific composer! Rather than simply reading these comments, try listening to the audio samples on either JPC or Amazon!

cheers
Dennis

A Nyholm

Dear Atterberg friends,

If you happen to be in Helsingborg on the 14th of March next year you should attend the concert when the Helsingborg Symphony Orchestra under Gregor Bühl performs the fifth symphony of Atterberg, Sinfonia funebre (his finest symphony, IMHO).

A couple of years ago, I met an engineer from the Swedish Patent and Registration Office and asked her how Atterberg was remembered there nowadays. She told me that the older employees could recall anecdotes about him, and when the Office moved to a new location a few years ago music by Atterberg was played during the festivities. It's nice to know that he's remembered by his former employer.

Anders

Pengelli

Just look at the reviews on the internet. This boxed set is going to
the top of my 'must buy' list,along with more Raff!

Peter1953

Thanks for all your valuable posts (Dennis, sorry, or maybe we had some kind of a telepathic contact...).
So far both the PC and VC were immediately (at first hearing) appealing to me, but the symphonies are a harder nut to crack. Of course there are very beautiful movements, for example the 2nd of the 8th symphony, like Dennis said. But there are also some rather noisy passages. Well, I'm certainly not finished with exploring the symphonies.

Hovite

Quote from: mbhaub on Thursday 12 November 2009, 03:10
The first music of Atterberg I ever encountered was the 6th "Dollar" symphony which immediately won me over. Brilliant work. Even though the ancient sound (Toscanini) was a hindrance

The symphony is one of his best, but that particular recording should be avoided.

Hovite

Quote from: Peter1953 on Wednesday 11 November 2009, 21:42
These days I'm "exploring" the 9 Symphonies; the ordered cpo box arrived last week

I picked up that box a few years ago in a local second hand shop, Wax Factor, in Trafalgar Street. Many subsequent events have faded from my memory, but I shall remember the joy of that discovery forever.

Of the nine symphonies, just two disappoint: the third, which started life as three tone poems that were later bundled together, fails to work as a symphony, and the ninth, which is a dreary setting of ancient Icelandic poetry. But that leaves seven gems.

Amphissa

Interesting. The middle movement of the 6th is very fine indeed and that movement alone makes the symphony worth hearing, But I actually prefer its disc-mate, the 3rd, even if it does not meld as a cohesive whole. To me, the 1st and 3rd movements of the 6th just sound like a hodge-podge of assorted composers thrown in a pot and stirred, with some nice (but trite) tunes in the mix. I'd pay a dollar for the middle movement, but not a dime for the other two.

Don't get me wrong. I like Atterberg. I've got the box of symphonies, the music fr piano and orchestra, the violin concerto, the 3rd suite, etc.

I guess I like him for different reasons than you guys. But maybe that's a mark of a good composer -- different people find different things to like about their music.

mbhaub

Quote from: Amphissa on Saturday 14 November 2009, 21:27

Interesting. The middle movement of the 6th is very fine indeed and that movement alone makes the symphony worth hearing, But I actually prefer its disc-mate, the 3rd, even if it does not meld as a cohesive whole. To me, the 1st and 3rd movements of the 6th just sound like a hodge-podge of assorted composers thrown in a pot and stirred, with some nice (but trite) tunes in the mix.

But didn't Atterberg do that on purpose? He took themes from other composers and wove them into the texture -- it was a personal joke he was pulling on the judging committee or something like that. I've never seen a thorough analysis of just how he did it. But I agree, that second movement is very deeply moving and honest. But the finale is a hoot!

Amphissa

I suppose it is just a problem I have. I don't really LIKE humor in classical music. But maybe I'll listen to it again with that specifically in mind -- that it was intended as a joke, and was not just poorly done homage.

TerraEpon

*loads up the 3rd movement of the 6th*

Huh, I never knew that. I'm sure it says in the linar notes, though. It's a fun movement, but I *love* musical humor. In fact, one of my favorite pieces of music is Fantasia on Auld Lang Syne by  Ernest Tomlinson. If you know the piece, you'd know why I bring it up here...

chill319

I've heard two of Atterberg's symphonies, and they've grown on me, though not quite as much as I hoped they would. If I had to choose between Atterberg and Edward Tubin (an Estonian who worked in Sweden), however, I'd go with Tubin, one of those rare composers whose talents were symphonic and whose symphonies have a hard-to-define grandeur of conception and execution, like Beethoven or Sibelius.

Amphissa

Yes indeed! I do like Tubin. His brass can be a bit hyperventilating at times, but he does "big" well.