Röntgen's Symphonies nos. 5, 6 & 19 from cpo

Started by M. Henriksen, Tuesday 28 February 2012, 19:56

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Henriksen

Another very welcome release from cpo at the end of march. As Alan has mentioned earlier in another topic, this is one out of a long list of interesting releases that cpo advertised in the 2012 catalogue.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/Julius-R%F6ntgen-1855-1932-Symphonien-Nr-5-619/hnum/6945097

Morten

Christo

Why hurry? Five previous Röntgen releases on CPO are still waiting to be played.   :-\

Dundonnell

Oh dear ::)

So many cds to buy ;D Where does the money come from ???

Peter1953

Morten, you are a very keen and frequent visitor of thrilling websites like jpc.de.
Not only a very warm welcome to Van Gilse 3, but of course also to one of my favourites, Julius Röntgen.

Peter1953

I'm beginning to realize that there are two different styles of compositions. The Röntgen of the solo piano music (I hope his sonatas will be released some day), the chamber music and the concertos (I exclude for the time being his other music). In these works Röntgen writes in a more or less Brahmsian style, in general romantic pur sang. I read in Röntgens biography that he is considered a Brahms epigone. It is not that easy to say. Take for example his beautiful, gracious PC 2. Do you recognize echoes of Brahms 2nd? I do, but... Röntgen composed his PC 2 in 1879, Brahms started his 2nd in 1879 and completed his opus in 1881. Enough said for this moment.

There is also another Röntgen: the composer of symphonies. After listening to the new cpo disc, featuring his symphonies 5, 6 & 19, for a few times, I recognize nothing of Brahms. All his symphonies are surely late romantic in style, but also have typically 20th century idioms. And all symphonies that are available on CD up to date are all different. I recognize no line, no developments in time and / or style. All symphonies feature different moods, bombastic moments, serene parts, sometimes with choir and/ or solo singers, sometimes with a religious atmosphere, now and then deeply moving fragments, unexpected and surprising twists, using baroque elements (in his 19th with the subtitle 'B.A.C.H." of course). In short, they vary a lot. My favourite is still the 3rd.

Do I recommend this CD? If you like to have such a listening experience of so many different moods and surprises, it's something for you. In any way, it is an interesting release and I'm very grateful to cpo.

Alan Howe

The 5th Symphony is an intensely moving, expressive piece (especially in the finale where tenor soloist and chorus join the orchestra) - and an awful lot of music is crammed into its 28 minutes and three movements. I'd say the CD was worth getting for this powerful symphonic utterance alone, but more on the other two symphonies in due course...

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

My word, this was a surprising listen! I have blown hot and cold on some of the previous releases in this series but these Symphonies have quite altered my perception of Röntgen. They are three very strong works and the brevity of Nos.6 and 19 (they're each only 16 minutes long, despite the Nineteenth having four movements) shouldn't be taken to imply any poverty of invention or seriousness of purpose. This is strong, moving, memorable music which is melodically distinguished and imaginatively orchestrated.  The vocal contributions to Nos.5 and 6 are really moving and entirely in keeping with the atmosphere of each piece. I shall return to some of the earlier Röntgen releases now with renewed interest and look forward to future issues much more keenly than I had before.

Balapoel

My $0.02: Rontgen in short is one of the most impressive composers I've ever heard. He is consistently creative, deep, reflective, scintillating, etc. in all fields, but particularly chamber and orchestral.
At one time I thought I would wait until CPO had recorded the complete set of symphonies, but I soon gave that up and went ahead and purchased all of them to date. I have never been disappointed.

erato

The cello concertoes on Etcetera was whta triggered my interest in Røntgen. They are certainly very fine.