Discovery of previously unknown work by the most "sung" composer...

Started by febnyc, Monday 05 March 2012, 22:11

Previous topic - Next topic

febnyc

...Mozart, by name.   Do we actually have an unsung piece by Amadeus?

A piano work from circa 1780 has been found in the Tirol.

See:  http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/320587

TerraEpon

Not the most odd thing in the world. Things are always being found now and again.

As for 'unsung' pieces by Mozart? There's a LOT of them.

febnyc

JollyRoger

Quote from: febnyc on Monday 05 March 2012, 22:11
...Mozart, by name.   Do we actually have an unsung piece by Amadeus?

A piano work from circa 1780 has been found in the Tirol.

See:  http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/320587

Heard of a Tchaikovsky 7th, but have not heard it. Obviously finshed by someone else.

eschiss1

Tchaikovsky was working on a symphony 7 - or 5 and a 1/2? (I forget if it's no.7 or before no.6 actually ) - but decided, if I recall, that the first movement might do better as a single-movement piano concerto; and we have the piano concerto no.3 in E-flat. The other two movements he almost finished were edited by Sergei Taneyev into an Andante and Finale for piano and orchestra. All three movements, and a piano piece from the opus 72 set to serve as scherzo, were converted into a four-movement symphony by Semyon Bogatyrev. And so, Tchaikovsky symphony in E-flat, ed. Bogatyrev :) (that should probably be "no.8"- let's not forget Manfred.)

And yes, as to unsung works by Mozart... depends on your threshold.  I consider the string trio preludes (to precede arrangements of fugues by members of the Bach family) unsung- if Mozart wrote them, which is not as certain as could be. But they're better-known than some other works of his... (and in proportion to quality - the divertimento for string trio Kv563, well! :) Sung, but not nearly enough for justice. But that's not what you asked. :D )

TerraEpon

Yes, the Tchaikovsky Symphony in Eb is from before the Pathetique, so the "No. 7" nomenclature is wrong.

Dunno what it has to do with this topic as Tchaikovsky has a lot of unsung music, as does pretty much every major composer.

JimL

The "Symphony No. 7" by Tchaikovsky is actually in E Major.  Those sketches were in E.  When he decided to use the music in a piano concerto instead, he decided that E Major wasn't as "pianistic" a key as E-flat, so he transposed the music a half-step down.  The 3rd PC never spent a minute of its existence in E Major, but the symphony completed by Bogatyrev is in that key.

JollyRoger

Quote from: TerraEpon on Friday 09 March 2012, 06:48
Yes, the Tchaikovsky Symphony in Eb is from before the Pathetique, so the "No. 7" nomenclature is wrong.

Dunno what it has to do with this topic as Tchaikovsky has a lot of unsung music, as does pretty much every major composer.

Thanks for the update..  the topic is "Discovery of previously unknown work by the most "sung" composers" Tchaikovsky is "sung" and the 7th is newly "discovered". Where's the rub? Do you sort your M&M's by color before eating them?..

TerraEpon

Ok, what I';m getting as is a couple of posts seem to be implying that everything by Mozart/Tchaikovsky is 'sung' except for what's being brought up, which is kinda silly.

JimL

Quote from: JollyRoger on Saturday 10 March 2012, 17:50
Quote from: TerraEpon on Friday 09 March 2012, 06:48

Thanks for the update..  the topic is "Discovery of previously unknown work by the most "sung" composers" Tchaikovsky is "sung" and the 7th is newly "discovered". Where's the rub? Do you sort your M&M's by color before eating them?..
The Tchaikovsky 7th isn't "discovered", it's "reconstructed", like Mahler's 10th or Elgar's 3rd.  The only difference is that the music from the Tchaikovsky was recycled in another work.

Alan Howe

Balapoel

One of my favorite past-times - discovering little-known works by sung composers.

Beethoven sketches are full of powerful music: in recent years we have seen recordings of these (commercial and otherwise):
-Piano Trio in f minor, Biamonti 637 (1815) (the sketches, not the 'completion')
-Oboe Concerto in F, Hess 12 (2. Largo) (1791)
-Piano Concerto in D, Hess 15 (1815) - hardly unknown
-Andante for piano and orchestra in D, intended for a Pf Concerto in A, Biamonte 55 (1788) (heard on NPR)
-Song 'Erlkönig', WoO 131 (1795)

Tchaikovsky, Mendelssohn, Dvorak, and Schubert - I have recordings of just about everything they wrote that's extant - great finds hidden in their oeuvre.

JollyRoger

Geirr Tveitt, born Nils Tveit (October 19, 1908 – February 1, 1981, lost much of his music in a 1970 fire at his Norway home...according to wikipedia, "300 opuses (including six piano concertos and two concertos for Hardanger fiddle and orchestra) were reduced to singed bricks of paper - deformed and inseparable. The Norwegian Music Information Centre agreed to archive the remains, but the reality was that 4/5 of Tveitt's production was gone - seemingly forever.."
While some of it is showing up from other sources, I find it hard to believe there is so little.
..to find more of it would be a real find.
I apologize if this is a bit off topic,but I am wondering if anyone has knowledge of newly discovered music from this composer. Tveitt may be unsung but is becoming more reknowned in recent years, thanks largely to Naxos.  I have eagerly sought every orchestral piece available and I was very pleased to hear his fine unheralded first symphony here at unsung.

doctorpresume

In terms of Mozart, there's an enormous amount of "unsung" material, obviously - given that there are many, many "sung" works in Mozart's oeuvre, of course, the "unsung" probably run into the hundreds. Inevitably, a lot of it is pleasant enough, but perhaps rather workaday compared to his best work... That said, even amongst the juvenalia, it's fascinating how early the "early" stuff starts to sound like bona fide Wolfgang.

Anyway, as for an actual unsung work, the one I'd nominate is, I suspect, "undersung" rather than genuinely "unsung", but if you look through all the various collections of Mozart's "greatest hits", you'll never see anyone mention a recording of the organ fantasia K608, but for my money it's Mozart's greatest work by a country mile. I wonder if the fact that it's for (mechanical) organ is why it falls off the radar somewhat, but it's a staggering piece of music. My theory as to why is that if you look at Mozart's letters around the time, it's a work he loathed composing to commission, so it was something he worked through at speed, and during some of his darker days, so there's no sense of politeness or of Mozart censoring himself in the music. It remains, for me, one of the very few glimpses of the real Mozart not hiding behind a facade. It's a dark, disturbing journey, as epic in its 12 short minutes as anything in (e.g.) Mahler, and it deserves to be more widely sung.

Busoni's piano arrangement for four-hand is pretty special too!

eschiss1

Maybe mentioned, but does a recent discovery of a strophic early song by JS Bach qualify?