William Alwyn(1905-85): a Catalogue of the Orchestral and Choral Music

Started by Dundonnell, Monday 19 March 2012, 04:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

For a composer whose music one is unlikely to encounter in the concert-hall, Alwyn has been treated extraordinarily generously by the record industry. As far as I can determine everything he wrote for orchestra has now been recorded, often two or three times, with the singular exception of the big cantata from the 1930s "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell". There is also, of course, a great deal of music written by Alwyn for films and recorded by Chandos as Suites arranged by others.

WILLIAM ALWYN: A CATALOGUE OF THE ORCHESTRAL AND CHORAL MUSIC

1923:      Peter Pan Suite for orchestra: 5 minutes    + (Dutton cd)
1925:      Prelude for orchestra: 2 minutes    +  (Dutton cd)
1926:      "Blackdown-a Tone Poem from the Surrey Hills": 5 minutes   +  (Dutton cd)
1927:      Five Preludes for Orchestra: 6 minutes    +  (Naxos cd)
1929:      "Ad Infinitum-a Satire for Orchestra": 7 minutes    +  (Dutton cd)
1930:      Piano Concerto No.1: 15 minutes      +  (Chandos and Naxos  cds)
1932:      "Aphrodite in Aulis-An Eclogue for Small Orchestra": 5 minutes    +  (Naxos cd)
                Serenade for orchestra: 11 minutes   + (Naxos cd)
1933:      "The Innumerable Dance-An English Overture: 10 minutes    +  (Naxos cd)
1933-38:Cantata "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell" for soprano, contralto, tenor, bass, chorus, orchestra and organ
1935:      Suite for small orchestra (incomplete)
1936:      Tragic Interlude for two horns, timpani and string orchestra: 8 minutes   +  (Chandos and Naxos cds)
                 Seven Irish Tunes-Suite for small orchestra: 9 minutes   +  (Naxos cd)
1937-39:Violin Concerto: 39 minutes    +  (Chandos and Naxos cds)
1939:      Pastoral Fantasia for Viola and String Orchestra: 13 minutes   +  (Chandos, Naxos and Dutton cds)
1940:      Overture to a Masque: 9 minutes   + (Chandos and Naxos cds)
1943:      Concerto Grosso No.1 for Chamber Orchestra: 11 minutes    +  (Chandos and Naxos cds)
1943-45:Concerto for Oboe, strings and harp: 19 minutes   + (Chandos  and Naxos cds)
1946:      Suite of Scottish Dances for orchestra: 7 minutes   +  (Naxos and Resonance cds)
                Overture in the Form of a Serenade for soprano, wordless choir and small orchestra: 6 minutes   + (Dutton cd)
1948:      Concerto Grosso No.2 for String Orchestra: 13 minutes       +  (Lyrita, Chandos and Naxos cds)
1949:      Symphony No.1: 40 minutes       + (Dutton, Lyrita, Chandos and Naxos cds)
1951:      Festival March for orchestra: 8 minutes   + (Lyrita, Chandos  and Naxos cds)
1952:      Symphonic Prelude "The Magic Island": 10 minutes   + (Lyrita, Chandos and Naxos cds)
1953:      Symphony No.2: 29 minutes    +  (Dutton, Lyrita, Chandos and Naxos cds)
1954:      "Autumn Legend" for Cor Anglais and string orchestra: 11 minutes    + (Lyrita, Chandos and Naxos cds)
                "Lyra Angelica" for Harp and string orchestra: 29 minutes     +  (Lyrita, Chandos and Naxos cds)
1955-56:Symphony No.3: 32 minutes     +  (Somm, Lyrita, Chandos and Naxos cds)
1956:      Dramatic Overture "The Moor of Venice" for brass band    +  (Naxos cd in an orchestration by Philip Lane)
1956-57:Elizabethan Dances for orchestra: 17 minutes    + (Lyrita, Chandos and Naxos cds)
1958:      Fanfare for a Joyful Occasion for brass and percussion: 4 minutes     + (Chandos and Naxos cds)
1959:      Symphony No.4: 34 minutes    +  (Lyrita, Chandos and Naxos cds)
1960:      Overture "Derby Day": 6 minutes    + (Lyrita, Chandos and Naxos cds)
                Piano Concerto No.2: 30 minutes   + (Chandos and Naxos cds)
1964:      Concerto Grosso No.3 for Woodwind, Brass and Strings: 14 minutes     +  (Chandos and Naxos cds)
1970:      Sinfonietta for Strings: 23 minutes      + (Lyrita, Chandos and Naxos cds)
1973:      Symphony No.5 "Hydriotaphia": 15 minutes    + (Lyrita, Chandos and Naxos cds)
[/i]

semloh

I have the Sonata alla Toccata on Naxos, Colin.

I agree that he has been treated generously by the record companies (pleased to say!) although most of his film music has taken an age to appear.

My favourite Alwyn composition is undoubtedly the beautiful Concerto for Harp & String Orchestra – 'Lyra Angelica'. Truly gorgeous.  :)

Dundonnell

Quote from: semloh on Monday 19 March 2012, 04:58
I have the Sonata alla Toccata on Naxos, Colin.

I agree that he has been treated generously by the record companies (pleased to say!) although most of his film music has taken an age to appear.

My favourite Alwyn composition is undoubtedly the beautiful Concerto for Harp & String Orchestra – 'Lyra Angelica'. Truly gorgeous.  :)

The Sonata alla Toccata is a piece for solo piano, Colin....so it lies outside my self-imposed remit :)

Leea25

Someone once mentioned to me that Alwyn had written some Welsh Dances for string or small chamber orchestra. They were suggesting them as possible rep for a school orchestra. Do these actually exist, or was he getting his wires crossed?

petershott@btinternet.com

Of course some wag on the forum will immediately flourish counter-evidence, but 'Welsh' doesn't at all sound (sic) like Alwyn.

There is a short (8-10 minute) 'Welsh Dances' by William Mathias, but as I remember that's scored for full orchestra and hence can't be the work to which your colleague was referring.

Maybe I ought to just shut up! Happy hunting for Welsh Dances.

semloh

Quote from: Dundonnell on Monday 19 March 2012, 15:48
The Sonata alla Toccata is a piece for solo piano, Colin....so it lies outside my self-imposed remit :)

Yes, of course!  ::) 

Those kind Naxos people used it, along with Derby Day, to top up the CD of the two piano concertos. They also threw in a "bonus CD" which I've only just discovered - which includes the Bliss concerto for two pianos. :)

Leea25

Thanks Peter - I suspected, even at the time, that he was mis-remembering, but I thought it worth asking!  :)

semloh

Colin - not sure if it meets your criteria - but how about The Fairy Fiddler (1924/25) (on Dutton Vocalion CD)?