John Ireland(1879-1962): a Catalogue of the Orchestral and Choral Music

Started by Dundonnell, Monday 19 March 2012, 16:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

I was in two minds whether to add John Ireland. I felt that he almost qualified as a "sung composer" alongside the likes of Elgar, Vaughan Williams, Bax, Walton, Tippett, Britten and Arnold. As I looked at the number of cd versions of several of his compositions that impression grew and I have not listed all of those versions. However, since the work is done it might as well be shared ;D

I have not included those works which have been orchestrated by other composers, notably Geoffrey Bush.

JOHN IRELAND: A CATALOGUE OF THE ORCHESTRAL AND CHORAL MUSIC

1898:   "Vexilla Regis" for chorus, brass and organ: 11 minutes  + (Chandos cd)
1899:   Symphonic Prelude "Tritons" for orchestra: 11 minutes      + (Lyrita and Chandos cds)
1903-04:Orchestral Poem: 13 minutes   + (Chandos cd)
1911:   "In Praise of Neptune" for chorus and orchestra   +  (Dutton cd)
1912:   "Here's to the Ships!" for baritone and orchestra        +  (Dutton cd)
1917-18:Prelude "The Forgotten Rite" for orchestra: 9 minutes      + (Barbirolli Society, Lyrita, Chandos and LPO cds)
1921:   Symphonic Rhapsody "Mai-Dun": 13 minutes       + (Barbirolli Society, Lyrita, Chandos and Halle cds)
1924:   "Greater love hath no man" for soprano, baritone, choir and orchestra: 6 minutes   + (Chandos and EMI cds)
1930:   Piano Concerto: 26 minutes   + (several recordings)
1932:   A Downland Suite for brass band   +  (CRD cd)
1933:   Legend for Piano and Orchestra: 13 minutes   + (several recordings)
1934:   Comedy Overture for brass band    + (CRD cd)
1936:   A London Overture: 13 minutes   + (several recordings)
1936-37:Cantata "These things shall be" for baritone(or tenor), chorus and orchestra: 22 minutes   + (Lyrita, Chandos and LPO cds)
1939:   Concertino Pastorale for string orchestra: 19 minutes    + (Lyrita and Chandos cds)
1941:"The Holy Boy" for string orchestra: 2 minutes   +  (several recordings)
            Minuet and Elegy for string orchestra(from A Downland Suite)
1941-42:Epic March for orchestra: 9 minutes   +  (Lyrita, Chandos and Halle cds)
1944:   Maritime Overture for military band
1946:   Overture "Satyricon": 13 minutes   + (Lyrita, Chandos and Halle  cds)
            Ballet "The Vagabonds"