Rauchenecker Symphony No. 1 in F minor, etc.

Started by black, Thursday 03 December 2009, 13:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Reto Schärli

Dear all,

Just a quick reminder:

The concert "Hommage an Georg Wilhelm Rauchenecker" with the Musikkollegium Orchestra Winterthur, conducted by Howard Griffiths will take place on Thursday, 29th October, at 7.30 pm at Stadthaus Winterthur.

The program includes:

-Orientalische Fantasie (for Violin Solo and String Quintett)
-Symphonisches Tonwerk im Stil einer Ouvertüre
-Symphony No.1 f minor

The whole program will be recorded, rehearsals starting tomorrow. I'm very excited to be part of this ;)
Will keep you up to date about the recording.

Alan Howe

Thanks, Reto. We are all very much looking forward to your report on the concert and news of the progress of the recording.

Mark Thomas

Indeed we are. What a mouth-watering prospect.

Reto Schärli

The recording sessions have been successfull, will keep everybody up to date about the date of release. I had a listen at the "Orientalische Fantasie", played by Sebastian Bohren. He really did an excellent job with this technically very challenging piece!
The orchestra worked very hard and under difficult circumstances - concert life here in Switzerland is now basically reduced to zero again  :'(...

However, the concert (including my introduction) tonight will take place, but without audience! There will be a live streaming - for those interested: There is a possibility to buy online tickets for the live streaming through the orchestra's website:

www.musikkollegium.ch

Best wishes and stay safe everybody!

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

Thanks, Reto. I note that cpo will be bringing out the recordings. What an adventurous label they are!

Alan Howe

Reto Schärli

Thanks everybody! The concert was very special, as we had to do it without audience. The orchestra played very fine and we're happy to have at least played the pieces in a concert-like situation as well. It's always something different than "just" recording the works. It was a very interesting and intense process this week.

And indeed we can be grateful to cpo for being so adventurous. We'll keep you up to date as soon as I get to know anything about the CD release  ;)

semloh

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

I echo those comments. Something really to look forward to!

Perhaps you could give us your impressions of the character of the Symphony No.1 in F minor?

Martin Eastick

I will certainly be very pleased to have a recording of the symphony! These recent developments are most welcome - and prompted me to revisit the old Jecklin CD of the C minor string quartet, a most delightful work indeed.

Reto Schärli

Quote from: Alan Howe on Friday 30 October 2020, 11:09
Perhaps you could give us your impressions of the character of the Symphony No.1 in F minor?

The Symphony really worked out very well, it's a nicely orchestrated piece, though sometimes a bit thick.
The first two movements are very Wagnerian, I also hear some Bruckner in the first one (long building-up passages, a "misterioso" coda, starting only with Timpani, Celli/Basses). The third movement is a very wild "impetuoso" scherzo, twice alternating with a lyrical trio. The finale has an introduction featuring a big Cor anglais solo, starting in a very elegiac mood. The main theme is played by Violas, very stormy character, whereas the second subject is a very clear reference to Wagners "Meistersinger" prelude. The symphony ends with a big and brilliant stretta!

All in all, a very nice, very "melodic" piece, I'd say rather easy to grasp quickly ;) Well-crafted and original, though in its overall design rather conservative middle-of-the-road German Romanticism. Certainly worth a listen, am very much looking forward to the recording!

Alan Howe

How fascinating! Of course, a Wagner-inspired symphony written at about the same time (1875-6) as Brahms' 1st is quite a prospect!

Thanks, Reto, for whetting our appetite for the recording even more thoroughly!

Reto Schärli

Indeed! Performed 9 months before the premiere of Brahms' 1, and NB in the same year as the first Bayreuther Festspiele ;) He's in rather good company ;)