Philip Glass Symphony No.9

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 27 March 2012, 20:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Quote from: Gijs vdM on Thursday 24 May 2012, 17:54
But to me it's like saying that a puddle reminds one of an ocean...

Well, if you are put in mind of puddles when listening to Bruckner... ;)

ahinton

Quote from: Gijs vdM on Thursday 24 May 2012, 17:54
Quote from: Alan Howe on Wednesday 23 May 2012, 16:47
I find that the long climaxes in Glass' 9th remind me of those in Bruckner - e.g. the slow movement of his 7th Symphony.
As avid Brucknerite I must say here:  :o
No offence meant! But to me it's like saying that a puddle reminds one of an ocean... (forgive the Moussorgskyan jibe here!).
You mean bacause both are wet? Yes, I cannot argue with that! Now what was the phrase that Sorabji wrote about getting out of the Amazon's way?...

eschiss1

Funny you should mention re Sorabji. You know, it's amazing how he was able to prophesize our use of streaming music like that. :D Though I'd hardly call the Amazon a stream (now Bach, there was a Brook. Apologies to Beethoven.)

Dundonnell

My copy of the Glass 9th has finally arrived ;D

(Btw I resent the practice of Orange Mountain-Glass's label-in short-changing purchasers of full-price cds with less than 50 minutes' worth of music ::))

However, having said that, I do find the symphony a fascinating work, powerful and colourful. I do also-readily-concede the point made by Alan that, if listened to with half an ear, as purely background music, it would become a repetitive mush of sound. Mark talks about the work's "hypnotic intensity". At times it reminded me of my favourite piece of Michael Nyman's-the hynotically, rhythmically-driven "MGV-musique a grande vitesse" of 1993 which tracks a journey on the French high-speed rail network to the most gloriously uplifting and happy conclusion.

The Glass symphony is a much more complex work than the Nyman, and a darker work too, but it does "take one on a journey" and that quality has always been something that appeals immensely to my ears :)

Alan Howe

Try the final few minutes of the second movement: some of the most uplifting music written in the modern era...

Dundonnell

Alan Howe

The piece has certainly passed my test, i.e. whether it makes me want to hear it again and again. I have done so on a number of occasions now and it just gets better each time. The sense of power in the long build-ups to the climaxes in each of the movements is absolutely enormous. Great music? I'm inclined to think so...