News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

d'Erlanger from Dutton

Started by M. Henriksen, Saturday 31 March 2012, 18:14

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Henriksen

I've just read an article written by Martin Anderson for Fanfare Magazine where American conductor Keith Lockhart speaks about his recent Converse disc recorded by Dutton. In this context Lockhart mentioned the following:

"Johannes Wildner, our principal guest conductor, is doing his first disc for them; it's of works by Frederic d'Erlanger."

And Martin then added this comment:
Lewis Foreman has since informed me that "We are doing the Piano Concerto, the two pieces for cello and orchestra, and three orchestral pieces. Effectively it's the complete published orchestral works without the Violin Concerto, which is on Hyperion."

Jolly good!

This was interesting reading, so here's the article
http://www.fanfaremag.com/content/view/48067/10253/

Morten

albion

Thanks, Morten.

Good news indeed - the prospect of a whole disc devoted to d'Erlanger: the Violin Concerto is a lovely work (the coupling with Cliffe resulted in a quite magnificent disc) and so more recordings would be very welcome.

:)

edurban

Yummy.  And  in the article Lockhart says he himself is at work on a tantalising Chadwick disc for Dutton.  Here's the teaser:

"....None of the Converse pieces had been recorded, and one of the Chadwick had, but it was in 1959, in mono, and it wasn't a very good performance..."

Wonder what new Chadwick is in store?

David

Mark Thomas

The D'Erlanger Violin Concerto is a work with many beauties and the prospect of a whole CD filled with more of his music is a mouthwatering one indeed. Something really to look forward to.

M. Henriksen

So what compositions are included on the d'Erlanger disc then? I haven't got a good overview of his output, and the best source I have is the booklet to the Hyperion disc of d'Erlanger's Violin Concerto.
Besides the Concerto symphonique there's also a Suite Symphonique and a prelude called Sursum Corda!. It could also include music from d'Erlanger's ballet Les cent baisers. But I can only find one piece for cello and orchestra (Andante symphonique, Op. 18). What's that second piece for cello that Lewis Foreman mentioned?

Morten

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteWonder what new Chadwick is in store?

Could it be the Symphony No. 1, which exists in MS?

albion

Quote from: M. Henriksen on Saturday 31 March 2012, 21:17So what compositions are included on the d'Erlanger disc then? [...] What's that second piece for cello that Lewis Foreman mentioned?

I would suggest ...

Suite symphonique (1895)
Andante symphonique, for cello and orchestra, Op.18 (1903)
Concerto symphonique, for piano and orchestra (1921)
Sursum Corda, prelude for large orchestra (1923)
Ballad, for cello and orchestra (1926)
Midnight Rose, waltz for orchestra (1934)

:)

Christo

Wait a second. Who's Frederic d'Erlanger?? :o

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteAnd Martin then added this comment:
Lewis Foreman has since informed me that "We are doing the Piano Concerto, the two pieces for cello and orchestra, and three orchestral pieces. Effectively it's the complete published orchestral works without the Violin Concerto, which is on Hyperion."

If it's the complete PUBLISHED orchestral pieces (presumably omitting the ballets) then the 3 non-concertante pieces are likely to be: Sursum Corda, the Prelude Romantique (1934) and the Midnight Rose Waltz. And I suggest this would make a well-filled disk, because the Concerto Symphonique for piano and orchestra is not short. (I don't think the Suite Symphonique was published, was it? Correct me if I'm wrong, John.)

albion

Sorry, I missed the published criterion ...

::)

... (the Suite symphonique was not printed) ...

:(

... then on reflection I later thought that it did seem an unfeasibly well-stuffed programme to accommodate on a single disc, but ...

:o

... looking forward to it all the same!

;D

M. Henriksen

According to his own website English cellist Guy Johnston is the soloist in the cello pieces.
Recorded 27. March at the Watford Colosseum.

Morten

jerfilm

Was this CD ever released?  If so, does anyone where it's available?  Thanks

Jerry

Gareth Vaughan

It's not released yet, I'm afraid.

jerfilm

Thanks, Gareth.  No wonder I couldn't find it anywhere..... :-\ :-\ :-\

Jerry