News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Brahms VC vs Bruch VC3

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 29 March 2012, 22:44

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

A problem with the Bruch 3 and the Rubinstein as well is also to be found in the development sections of the first movements.  Both tend to take a rather lyrical, somewhat lackadaisacal approach, which I find very undramatic.  In this, the Rubinstein seems to be rather more of a guilty party than the Bruch.  At least the retransition to the recap in Bruch 3 builds up some tension and drama.  In the Brahms, starting from that chain of trills, through the fugato tutti and all the way to the recap there is a buildup of excitement that you just don't find in the Rubinstein.  And the Bruch 3 has an extended development which is mostly in a subdued mood all the way to the retransition previously mentioned.

Alan Howe

Peter, you are doing just fine! I know exactly what you are saying - and I agree with Jim too. After several days of listening to the two pieces, I acknowledge that Brahms has an ability to develop his material which Bruch doesn't (quite) have. I just wish that these slightly lower peaks in the VC repertoire were given more opportunity to be heard.

Moving on in time, would the Reger VC and Elgar VC challenge Brahms' VC in the symphonic violin concerto stakes, perhaps?

Alan Howe

As an afterthought, the Klughardt VC at nearly 40 minutes is also on a symphonic scale...