News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Jaromír Weinberger

Started by kolaboy, Sunday 08 April 2012, 18:00

Previous topic - Next topic

kolaboy

Not sure if he's come up before, but here's a poor guy who seems to have been eaten by time, and neglect. I seem to recall hearing a broadcast of Švanda dudák eons ago, but nothing since. I was surprised to discover just how much he had composed. I'd particularly love to hear his Legend of Sleepy Hollow, 4 Movements from Washington Irving's Sketch Book (1940)... dreamer that I am...

mbhaub

For many years I've waited for Weinberger to have his day in the sun, hoping that some record outfit (Naxos, CPO?) would take up his music. But, alas. Nothing. Schwanda, the Bagpiper is one of my favorite operas of all -- what's not to like? I've played the Polka and Fugue in concerts more times than I can remember, and the only other works I've played were the Marionette Overture and Under the Spreading Chestnut Tree. Both delightful, gorgeously orchestrated as you might expect. But there's so much more! Keep hope alive! Eventually, as the seemingly endless supply of unknown music keeps coming, they'll get to Weinberger.

fr8nks

Schwanda the Bagpiper is my favorite opera of all time. Every song is memorable and it has a great overture and interludes.

BerlinExpat

There are two productions of Svanda at the moment in Germany - one in Czech at the Semperoper (Dresden) and one in German in Görlitz. You should be able to pick up the Dresden broadcast on April 28th from NPS-Holland at 19:00!
You're all right, it's a lovely opera, which I managed to see in Augsburg in 2007. There is or was a recording on CBS but I don't know if Sony have re-released it. The only negative factor is that it's sung in German. But with Popp, Prey and Jerusalem it's good compensation!

kolaboy

Quote from: BerlinExpat on Monday 09 April 2012, 09:11
There are two productions of Svanda at the moment in Germany - one in Czech at the Semperoper (Dresden) and one in German in Görlitz. You should be able to pick up the Dresden broadcast on April 28th from NPS-Holland at 19:00!
You're all right, it's a lovely opera, which I managed to see in Augsburg in 2007. There is or was a recording on CBS but I don't know if Sony have re-released it. The only negative factor is that it's sung in German. But with Popp, Prey and Jerusalem it's good compensation!

Thanks for the head's up, BerlinExpat :)

BerlinExpat

How could I have forgotten, there's an up to date release of Svada from Naxos in Czech from the Wexford Festival in 2003. Naxos 8.660146-47.
And, if anyone has access to in-house recordings, there may be one of the heavily cut production of Wallenstein in Gera/Altenburg in the 2009 to 2011 seasons. Unfortunately, it wasn't relayed by MDR, but is nevertheless a superb opera and deserves a wider audience.

Martin Anderson

I reckon there's probably five CDs' worth of orchestral music by Weinberger. Toccata Classics would love to do it all -- just a matter of a few £££. If any of you knows any well-disposed Czech magnates out there, whisper "Weinberger" and "Toccata Classics" in the right ear. Or the left.
Cheers
Martin

BerlinExpat

For Kolaboy and any other Jaromir Weinberger fans dreaming of more of his music, here is an orchestral piece called The Bird Opera. It's from the Dutch Radio archives but so far I haven't been able to decipher the announcer's introduction.

http://www.mediafire.com/?xjrljnnjv9gqens,btha6dv92biaps1

I also have a recording of the Dresden Semper Oper production of Svanda dudák if anyone is interested. The Sächsische Staatskapelle (regarded as an experienced Strauß orchestra) sound can't really be bettered.

JimL

Thanks Expat, but I think this is going to end up being shifted to the downloads department.  Is anybody working on a catalogue of Weinberger's oeuvre?

Mark Thomas

I've copied BerlinExpat's post to the German Music thread in the Downloads board.

allison

In Wiki Weinberger is called Czech American, also I can't seem to get the file of "Bird's Opera" open, any suggestions?

fr8nks

You must download both files before trying to open either one of them. Both files must be in the same folder. Then open the first file and the complete recording will open.

Dundonnell

Could I respectfully enquire why Weinberger is being regarded as German?

He was born in Prague in 1896 to Jewish parents. Prague was at that time part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. He taught in the USA from 1922 to 1926 and  emigrated to the USA in 1939. Weinberger studied in Leipzig but as far as Germany is concerned that was it as far as I know :)

Mark Thomas

A good point. So, gentlemen, is it to be the Austrian, Czech or American thread in Downloads to which I move BerlinExpat's post (again)?

black

Quote from: fr8nks on Tuesday 15 May 2012, 12:58
You must download both files before trying to open either one of them. Both files must be in the same folder. Then open the first file and the complete recording will open.
I did what you said, but none of my unpacking programms can handle this. Which programm should I use?