English Music Festival 1 June 2012 - Moeran's 2nd symphony

Started by calico, Thursday 31 May 2012, 10:04

Previous topic - Next topic

calico

This Friday 1 June, the opening concert of the English Music Festival, to be broadcast live on BBC Radio 3 from 7.30pm

PARRY: Jerusalem
CURTIS: Festival Overture
IRELAND: Legend for Piano and Orchestra

VAUGHAN WILLIAMS: Fantasia for Piano and Orchestra (World Premiere performance)
MOERAN / YATES: Symphony no.2 (World Premiere performance)

Martin Yates talks to Stephen Johnson in the interval about completing Moeran's symphony.

Gareth Vaughan

I shall be there - and please note that the 1st concert of the next day (11.00am Saturday 2nd June in Dorchester Abbey) has Rupert Marshall-Luck playing the 1st violin sonata by Roger Sacheverell Coke.

jerfilm

jerfilm

lechner1110

Quote from: calico on Thursday 31 May 2012, 10:04
This Friday 1 June, the opening concert of the English Music Festival, to be broadcast live on BBC Radio 3 from 7.30pm

Martin Yates talks to Stephen Johnson in the interval about completing Moeran's symphony.

I just uploaded yesterday's concert on download board. Enjoy! :)

calico

suffolkcoastal

Not sure what happened to the ordering of the concert, but the 2nd half consisted of Delius's Over the Hills and Far Away along with the Moeran.

jerfilm

Yes, thanks.  Listening to the Moeran as I type.

Jerry

calico

Good, isn't it, Jerry?

Sorry, Suffolk - I copied from the Radio 3 website, which didn't list the Delius as did the EMF programme, so I thought it might not be played after all. And the VW & Ireland pieces were played in reverse order. This is how it actually was:

Interval
DELIUS: Over the hills and far away

suffolkcoastal

The Moeran is lovely I've already played my CD several times. The finale is somewhat scrappy, but then Martin Yates didn't have much to go on. The slow movement is a real gem, it has brought tears to my eyes every time I've heard it so far. Perhaps though Moeran's actual completion may surface. The material that was located in Melbourne was only largely in piano score with some indications of scoring for the first three movements, but there are some indications that Moeran was working on a full score and that he may have completed the work, so perhaps it is still awaiting discovery if he didn't destroy his full score.

Jimfin

I already have the Dutton CD, but it's so good to hear another version. Thank you so much, Atsushi.

J.Z. Herrenberg