News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Farrenc symphonies

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 22 April 2012, 18:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

petershott@btinternet.com

Actually, Alan, the set isn't new. I bought mine (in that large S/H emporium in Notting Hill) way back in 2004. So the set is at least 8 years old, possibly more.

My introduction to Farrenc was through the Schubert Ensemble's performance of the two Piano Quintets on an ASV disc. I thought them lovely works, so was keen to get to know the symphonies. I was impressed by these performances conducted by Stefan Sanderling. Being a real CD glutton, I then acquired the Goritzki performances on CPO. Both sets are good, but I thought Goritzki had the edge over Sanderling. One factor that might swing it in favour of CPO is that the Goritzki set contains the two earlyish Concert Overtures in addition to the symphonies. (With Sanderling you get the symphonies alone).

Judged by opus numbers there must be a lot of unrecorded Farrenc.  I go up (so to speak!) to Op. 45 which is a Trio in E minor for Flute, Cello & Piano. That was written in 1862, and 13 years before she died. Thus lots of unsung works here!

Alan Howe

Thanks for the clarification, Peter. Personally speaking, I won't be adding to the cpo CDs...