Raff piano music vol.2

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 01 May 2012, 15:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Well, hard on the heels of vol.1 comes vol.2 of Raff's piano music...
http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Grand%2BPiano/GP612

TerraEpon

Like others, I really enjoy volume 1. Looking forward to the next.

Saint-Saens is coming too -  http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Grand%2BPiano/GP605

Mark Thomas

Funny, the second volume wasn't scheduled for release until the autumn and, as far as I know, the booklet hasn't yet been approved. The works themselves, the Fantasy Sonata, the big Variations on an Original Theme and the four shorter pieces of Op.196 all rank amongst Raff's best and Tra plays them with all the technique and intelligence which she has displayed in her other Raff recordings. I've just heard the first mix of volume III and that's another winner I'm delighted to say.

petershott@btinternet.com

I put in an order for Volume 2 a few days ago, and the supplier is claiming a release date of 28 May. I thought Volume 1 so good, that I won't find it "funny" at all if the release is delayed! Hope Mark's point doesn't indicate that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is up to in this case. (When I saw Volume 2 announced, I did think, gosh, that's very soon indeed after Volume 1).

However if we have to wait until Autumn, well (big sigh) so be it.

Are you at liberty, Mark, to reveal what Volume 3 will include? And is Volume 3 the end of the project (if so, another big sigh)?

Mark Thomas

I'm still trying to get to the bottom of the changed release schedule issue for vol.2....

As for what'll be on vol.3, Tra will be playing the Album Lyrique op.17, a roughly 45 minute set of nine numbers allegedly dating from 1849, although I suspect that at least a couple of them are from the 1870s, the Cinq Eglogues op.105, an exquisite set of five little pieces from 1861 lasting around 20 minutes, the Fantaisie-Polonaise op.106 dating from the same year and the Valse-Impromptu à la Tyrolienne WoO.28 of 1868.

There aren't plans for any more in the series.

Mark Thomas

My mistake, it isn't the Valse-Impromptu à la Tyrolienne WoO.28 which has been recorded for vol.3 but the Impromptu-Valse op.94 of 1860! Apparently the release of vol.2 has been brought forward to the end of this month.

Many thanks for the updates, Mark. I know what music I'll be devouring at the end of May. But, alas, only three volumes. I've become quite addicted by Raff's piano music through Volume 1, and now want more!

Mark Thomas

Presto Classical now have sound bites of each track here. Just click on the Listen tab. You can read the booklet notes here.

eschiss1

Is this only the second recording of the Fantasy-Sonata? It really is a fine work, I agree (or my opinion too, anyway...)

Mark Thomas

Yes, it's the second recording. Valentina Seferinova recorded it for Cahoots and that performance is still available on Cameo Classics.

Gareth Vaughan

Or direct from me at £10 inc. postage (even to the USA!).

eschiss1

I actually have a MIDI (two, because of size problems), though one of these days sooner rather than later I'm going to buy one or both of the actual honest-to recordings of the work (in part because I -have- heard it.)

Jonathan

I ordered my copy on Sunday and had an email from Amazon saying it had been dispatched.  No sign of it yet though...

Mark Thomas

The CDs have now definitely been despatched to retailers.

I received my copy - from Amazon - several days ago. But I use their 'Prime' service - fast as light and free postage. This week has seen me up to the neck with conferences et al, and hence the disc remains adorned with its cellophane. As does volume 2 of the Weinberg complete piano works series. Aaaah, which to listen to first? Hamlet was never confronted by such a choice.