News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Composer of the Year

Started by John H White, Monday 04 January 2010, 12:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

Raff's reputation has come a long way since those days, which many of us can remember, when virtually all that was recorded of his was the "Cavatina". Then came the excitement of Bernard Herman's recording of Symphony No. 5 - and what a revelation that was; though many on this forum would not have been surprised at its quality. After that, Raff's star brightened somewhat with recordings of the Piano Suite No. 4, the Piano Concerto, Ode to Spring and a few other more or less minor pieces (not forgetting the splendid Swiss LP of the Piano Quintet). Then Marco Polo started their series of symphonies and the musical world began at last to wake up to the real splendour and value of Raff's music. He has experienced a long overdue renaissance, really in the last 15-20 years. Now, it seems, he is beginning to be heard in the concert hall too. Long may it continue.

Pengelli

Just out of curiosity,as I can't seem to find much information about them on the internet. Are Raff's opera's any good? Have they been performed at any time in the last say,ten or fifteen years,or more?   Has anyone on this forum ever heard one? Were they particularly successful in his time? Would they be worth a revival? And, I assume they are romantic,but to which opera composer are they closest to in style & idiom? And,final question; did he compose any 'Singspiel'?

Marcus

Hello Pengelli,
Re the Raff operas:
Konig Alfred,( produced by Liszt in Weimar 1851), Dame Kobald, (Weimar 1870), and the remaining four that I could find, were never produced: Die Eifersuchtigen, Die Parole, Benedetto Marcello & Samson.
Singspiel is not mentioned, so I guess they are all conventional in style. I have never seen a listing in the catalogue, but the old LP catalogues from Europe might offer a surprise. (at least excerpts ) ?
Marcus.

Marcus

This hardly qualifies for recording of 2009, ( I bought my recording in 2008), but I wish to mention it regardless.
Piano Sonata no1 in E flat major & Piano Sonata no2 in G major by Antonio Buzzola. (Italy 1815-1871).(Tactus #TC 810201) I purchased from  Records International. (USA)
He was an opera composer who had some success, but the competition in Italy was dominated by Verdi, Bellini, Rossini, Donizetti etc. His piano works number five pieces, the two sonatas, a marziale, notturno & 2 valzer, all on this CD.
I was stunned by the quality of the piano writing in the sonatas in particular, and especially no1.
They invoke the language of Mozart, Weber, Schubert & even a young Beethoven, in a classical/ early romantic style. Both sonatas have memorable melodies, the 1st being the better of the two, in my opinion. The second sonata has a fabulous 1st movement, Allegro vivace, with a short 2nd mvt, but the final mvt is a theme with variations on the Marseillaise. For me, at least, it is a let down after the build up of the 1st mvt. . Although Paris was arguably the musical capital at the time, particularly for pianists, the Marseillaise was on most "hit parades" at the time, so was probably met with great acclaim. The Claque would have loved it !
This is music of quality, and a must have for lovers of 19th century piano music. If you come across it, buy it. You will not be disappointed ! My nomination for 2008. ( Two years late - sorry ! )
My nomination(s) for 2009 Noskowski &  Jadassohn Symphonies, (equal) with  Brull's symphony 3rd.. The Noskowski & Jadassohn promise even better things to come, and I can't separate them.
Marcus.

Peter1953

But who is our Composer of the Year? And who is your Composer of the Year? Which unsung composer has an anniversery in 2010?

My choice? I've mentioned him already twice. Norbert Burgmüller.

Marcus

Peter, if the criteria is anniversary date, I'll nominate Gustav Mahler. (150th anniversary)
I misunderstood the original message, and thought it was our individual selection of music heard in 2009. Excuse my mis-interpretation, it happens too frequently at my age.
Chopin, Schumann & Felicien David have their 200th anniversaries this year, or Barber & Schuman 100th.
Marcus.

Peter1953

Never mind, Marcus. I made the same misinterpretation (see Reply #3), and I'm only 56...  ;)
Yes, Chopin... In May I'm going to Poland, to Zelazowa Wola, Chopin's birthplace. A pilgrimage.

Marcus

It is hard to nominate an unsung for an anniversary, as there are not very many born in 1810, 1860, 1910 & 1960.
If unsung equates to little known, (but should be better known), like you ,Norbert Burgmuller, or perhaps Felicien David are the only two worth mentioning born 1810.
Mahler, Shumann & Chopin are hardly unsungs, nor for that matter are Albeniz, Charpentier, Paderewski, Barber &Schuman who have anniversaries.
Sorry, but I have relegated it to the "too hard" basket.
Marcus.

Peter1953

Chopin's friend and pupil, Julian Fontana (1810-69)...But he's not a Norbert Burgmüller.

chill319

Barber and Schuman have been mentioned. 2010 is also the sesquicentennial of one of Raff's most faithful students, Edward MacDowell. MacDowell's first published work was dedicated to Raff's wife in the immediate aftermath of Raff's death. The whole work is very much in the spirit of Raff's own piano suites, but with the addition of a funeral march as the penultimate movement. MacDowell's first piano sonata, another response to the death of Raff (though completed some years later), is a strong work.  It was written in close proximity to the time when he was preparing some of Raff's overtures for publication. The Dirge from MacDowell's Suite, opus 48, is a stark and IMHO unusually successful extension of the language used by Wagner in Goetterdaemmerung. I have yet to hear a recorded performance that is more than perfunctory, however.

So much for MY unsung nominee. As far as OUR nominee goes, I would enthusiastically second (or third) Norbert Burgmueller.

Pengelli

Thank you Marcus. I'm very interested in German Romantic opera's,and 'Singspiel' type opera's from that period. Wagner,excluded,although,'Wagnerian', & 'post Wagnerian' is fine. Judging by the only Raff symphonies I've heard so far,No's 3 & 5,they could be my kind of opera's. As to Raff symphonies,I'm thinking of going for No 1 or 4,next. I would try No 7,as to the idea of a symphony inspired by mountains is very appealing; but, unfortunately,allot of people seem to consider it one of his weakest. Although,I did find one enthusiast on another forum. Surely,it can't be as dreary as Strauss's bombastic & over sung example? As one critic pointed out,'once you get to the top it's down hill all the way'!

thalbergmad

I nominate Jan Ladislav Dussek (1760-1812).

His piano sonatas have given me many enjoyable hours of listening and playing.

Thal

chill319

A brilliant choice, Thal. I'd forgotten Dussek's birth year.

Dussek was writing sonata movements that have much of the scope, sweep, and turbulence of Beethoven's opp. 13 and 27/2 as early as the late 1780s (opus 10/2 and 10/3). Whether it's those heaven-storming early works, the opus 35 masterpieces (with their brilliantly argued developments), or the rich Les Adieux sonata, there's no doubt that Beethoven and others learned a lot from Dussek. (And if we stop at Les Adieux,  the best Dussek was yet to come.)  I think Haydn's expressed admiration for Dussek was quite genuine and is demonstrated in Haydn's last sonata. In my estimation, no composer has been more inexplicably neglected.

So, much as I admire Burgmueller's genius and enjoy his music, I have to switch my vote to Dussek, a master who greatly enriched musical discourse before being forgotten.

TerraEpon

Dussek also wrote some great melodic harp music. Don't think you can say that about too many other classical period composers, that have been recorded anyway (with the one notable exception that everyone knows about...)

Pengelli

For recent cd revelations of a forgotten composer I would go for the Dutton releases of Stanley Bate. Although, I do share some of the reservations of the IRR critic about the beginning of the final movement of the 3rd symphony. Still, a tremendous symphony,and hopefully Dutton will go on to record the remaining symphonies and concerto's.
For one of my favourite discoveries on cd I would choose the symphonies of Charles Tournemire. A visionary genius. His colossal Symphonies No's 6 & 7 are enough to give even old Havergal Brian a run for his money! The range of sonorities,colour, and sheer breadth of vision of this magnificent unsung cycle is truly awe inspiring.