Unrecorded (far-as-known) Violin Concertos

Started by eschiss1, Friday 18 May 2012, 22:14

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

since this was brought up - with location of scores and parts where known (hrm. ok, I failed that last part miserably)... (unrecorded commercially-or-otherwise, in this case)

(a partial list, with no claim to know quality, though I will at least mostly weight, but not limit, to composers I have more reason to suspect good things of - from prior musical acquaintance, hopefully.)

In addition to Alan's recent list I would add for starters :)

*Alfredo d'Ambrosio (1903 in B minor, Op.29, (published) 1912 in G minor, Op.51. Published by Paul Decourcelle of Nice. Only piano scores @ IMSLP unfortunately.) (The British Library does have the score and parts of his Romance for violin and orchestra op.9 and the mazurka op.11, however, and the full score of the first concerto.) (late edit: score & parts- maybe partially manuscript- for both concertos @ Fleisher Collection.)
*Benoit Hollander (Some 5? concertos, including Op.15 (published 1896 by Phillips & Page of London), and no.2 (?). Full score of no.1 in D minor @ IMSLP. This and his string quartet in C-sharp minor interest me.)
*Also by Benoit Hollander, his Fantaisie pastorale op.26 of 1899 once performed by Ysaÿe (if the parts to the orchestral version can be found.)
*Blair Fairchild (Legend in E minor op.31 for violin and orchestra- not a concerto in name, admittedly - published 1911. Full score (Démets) again @IMSLP.)
*Richard Ralf (1897-1977) violin concerto (1925)
*Heinrich Gottlieb Noren violin concerto op.38 (ca.1911. Premiered Oct. 1912, violinist Kortschak, in Berlin -- late late edit: premiered a few months earlier than that, in Danzig. Study score now available, 2016.)
*Martinon's violin concerto no.1 "Giocoso" Op.18

There was at least one I meant to include that just isn't coming to mind, but I'm sure that's what edit is for...
(Hrm. They have recorded all 3 of Milhaud's violin concertos now, yes? And if not why not, hrmmm?)

Ser Amantio di Nicolao

The Ina Boyle, which I first heard on these shores.  Hasn't been recorded yet, to the best of my knowledge.

Dundonnell

Can I direct you to the thread I started:

http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,1605.msg18747.html#msg18747

There will-no doubt- be a number of unrecorded American, Swedish, Finnish and Norwegian violin concertos. Paul Creston's 1st, David Diamond's 1st and 3rd, Hilding Rosenberg's 1st, Erland von Koch's 2nd, Aare Merikanto's 1st for example.  Give me time and I shall think of more :)

eschiss1

Well, for now until some reasonable solution can be found this thread -can- serve for British 19th-and-earlier and 21st-century concertos (that is, non-20th-century British), and non-British concertos :)

ttle

Quote from: Dundonnell on Saturday 19 May 2012, 14:30
Can I direct you to the thread I started:

http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,1605.msg18747.html#msg18747

There will-no doubt- be a number of unrecorded American, Swedish, Finnish and Norwegian violin concertos. Paul Creston's 1st, David Diamond's 1st and 3rd, Hilding Rosenberg's 1st, Erland von Koch's 2nd, Aare Merikanto's 1st for example.  Give me time and I shall think of more :)

Well, Rosenberg's 1st is not exactly unrecorded, since it can be found in the Caprice CD-Box "Rosenberg conducts Rosenberg", beautifully performed by Charles Barkel with the Swedish RSO conducted by the composer. Now, there should indeed be a modern version...

eschiss1

I don't think either of Camargo Guarnieri's violin concertos has been recorded, but one of them (his 2nd) is being performed by the Orquestra Filarmônica de Minas Gerais, with Luiz Filip, violin and Fabio Mechetti conducting, in late July of this year. So who knows...

violinconcerto

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 21 May 2012, 13:31
I don't think either of Camargo Guarnieri's violin concertos has been recorded, but one of them (his 2nd) is being performed by the Orquestra Filarmônica de Minas Gerais, with Luiz Filip, violin and Fabio Mechetti conducting, in late July of this year. So who knows...

I short look on my site shows that all violin concertos (VC1, VC2 and Choro) are commercially recorded on a Lua Music LUA 324. Thats not a normal CD but a multimedia disc with videos of the performances and scores as well, if I remember correctly (if someone needs this information, please let me know and I will check my copy).

Best,
Tobias

eschiss1

mjkFendrich

Luiz Filip has even posted the videos of all of them in HD quality at his YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/luizfilipeviolin