Diepenbrock Anniversary Box

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 25 May 2012, 09:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Paul Barasi

Seems 2 b a DVD thrown in too. Can't be much missing. Includes Haintink/Concertgebouw

jerfilm

One can keep their fingers crossed that this set will be available for individual downloads, as it looks like about half of the music has been available somewhere before.   Guess that's the problem with big box sets - too much doubling up at too high a price.

TerraEpon

Quote from: jerfilm on Friday 25 May 2012, 13:32
One can keep their fingers crossed that this set will be available for individual downloads, as it looks like about half of the music has been available somewhere before.   Guess that's the problem with big box sets - too much doubling up at too high a price.

Well it's only a problem if there's unique stuff (or unique stuff I want anyway) not on the set. I don't mind at all buying a box set and selling older discs. I do mind having the same recording on more than one CD, which I avoid if at all possible but not always so (the BIS Sibelius edition has a simgle doubled track and the Naxos Gottschalk Orchestral Music uses the same recording as an earlier disc for Night in The Tropics, as a couple of examples).

Martin Eastick

Having just received this box in the post today, my initial pleasure was short-lived, and I have to say that this set is a big disappointment for the following obvious reasons: (a) of the 35 songs originally included in the 3 cd's as issued by NM classics, 7 ARE MISSING in the anniversary box, which although only allocating 2 discs for the non-orchestral songs, could easily have included the complete contents of the three originals without any timing issues. (b) 'Reyzangen uit Gysbrecht van Aemstel' for choir and orchestra has FOUR MOVEMENTS which are complete on the original Composers' Voice CD, however, for some inexplicable reason only movements one and three are included in the box. Once again, timing here would not be an issue although a slight reorganisation would be required. Therefore for us completists, I will have to retain 4 cd's which I could have passed on to free up valuable shelf space! Obviously some one at Etcetera seriously needs their head examined, but more seriously, surely this kind of stupidity will detract from  the saleability of what should have been an important production.

Alan Howe

Many thanks, Martin, for pointing out these deficiencies. It's important to know these things - so, caveat emptor!