News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Gernsheim Violin Sonatas

Started by Alan Howe, Tuesday 29 May 2012, 17:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Morris Herzog

Ignatz Waghalter, whose major works for violin have just been released by Naxos [http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.572809], was a pupil of Friedrich Gernsheim. In Waghalter's fascinating memoir (Aus dem Ghetto in der Freiheit), a wonderful portrait of Gernsheim as a musician and teacher is to be found. Arriving in Berlin as a penniless 16 year old, the Warsaw-born youth managed to come to the attention of Joseph Joachim and Gernsheim. Waghalter showed Gernsheim his youthful compositions. The elderly composer tossed them aside and told Waghalter that in Berlin he would learn the art and science of composition. In the years that followed Gernsheim would work over Waghalter's compositions with uncompromising rigor. Waghalter writes that he knew he was worthy of the title "composer" when Gernsheim returned his compositions uncorrected. In 1902 Waghalter's Sonata for Violin and Piano -- which is included in the Naxos release -- was awarded the prestigious Mendelssohn price. I believe the work is dedicated to Gernsheim. Though it appears to me that Waghalter possessed a greater melodic gift than Gernsheim, the influence of his teacher is unmistakeable.

It is really wonderful that the very great work of such long-forgotten musicians is being revived.

eschiss1

Went and bought this set (on mp3) using practically the very last of an Amazon gift-card, having been something of a fan of Gernsheim for years and curious about the violin sonatas. I'm thinking even based on just the Op.4 first sonata (published by Rieter-Biedermann in 1865 and the earliest work of his I've heard so far, I believe, predating the first string quintet and first cello sonata by a bit -if- publication dates are any guide, which they often aren't... Gernsheim (like others) need(s) a really good life-and-works biographer/cataloguer (erm, has he had one?) )  - a quite enjoyable and characterful work, at least in the Kirpal duo's hands - that I made a good choice :)