Caspar Joseph Brambach 1833-1902

Started by thalbergmad, Monday 29 September 2014, 18:24

Previous topic - Next topic

thalbergmad

It appears that someone is attempting a realisation of the Brambach PC and has posted on SoundCloud the last movement.

https://soundcloud.com/harmo-nium/c-j-brambach-concert-for-piano

It is a rarity that I find myself so unmoved that I would not be excited if it were to be recorded. A string of notes linked together without an ounce (or should I now say gramme) of craftmanship.

If you have trouble sleeping, this could be the cure.

Thal

Gareth Vaughan

It is very dull indeed. No tune, no interesting harmonies. Just a lot of thrashing about. Who was Brambach anyway? I confess, I had never heard of him. There are far more worthwhile PCs to reconstruct and realise.

thalbergmad

I had not heard of him until a couple of days ago when a 2 piano version of his PC (at an absurd price) was offered for sale in the latest Katzbilcher catalogue. The score from the Swiss Library in Zurich is on loan, no doubt to the chap who has posted the "recording".

Seems to have been a musician of some renown according to the Wikipedia article.

Thal

eschiss1

I've seen other works of his @ IMSLP (where one finds him at Carl Joseph Brambach), but not the concerto. (E.g. his 2nd piano quartet, piano sextet, violin sonata, and a few other things.)  The piano concerto Op.39 was published in 1879 by Cohen of Bonn (a year before the 2nd piano quartet (of 3) Op.43 (in A minor) which looks to me (from the parts and score pub. @ IMSLP) like an interesting work, but... well, that's my impression and only mine...)