Hans Gál's cello concertino on Avie

Started by eschiss1, Sunday 01 July 2012, 10:41

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

(yes, we have a recording of this work. No, it's not the same one.)
Records International's July catalogue- with many recordings that have been pondered in these fora recently- is now out- also Hans Gál's cello concertino (coupled with what I hope is quite a good performance of the Elgar, and described simply as "Cello Concerto" Op.87 by Avie.)  Antonio Meneses (cello), Northern Sinfonia conducted by Claudio Cruz. See http://recordsinternational.com/cd.php?cd=07O009.

febnyc

Why do these interesting works by Hans Gál always get coupled with warhorses?  This news of the cello concertino hitched to Elgar's cello concerto is as depressing as the CDs of Gál's symphonies which were tied to Schumann and Schubert symphonies.  I really don't want another recording of any of the discmates and so will forgo the Gál works. (Maybe they'll turn up on another label without the baggage - fat chance!)

eschiss1

A conscious decision, not an accident, which they've defended here and elsewhere, I believe. (And insofar as part (part) of the reasoning is that the audience for a forum like this is not the only or even the primary audience for a CD like the one in question, I agree strongly.)

Greg K

It's a needlessly perverse coupling IMO.  Elgar enthusiasts drawn by another recording of the CC
will likely be indifferent to (or at least little excited by) the presence of Gal.  Those new to Elgar will surely prefer a more mainstream companion and in any case gravitate to more reknowned (and/or) cheaper competition.  And those hungry to hear the unknown Gal will groan over the gratuitousness of a discmate they already possess more than enough alternatives to.

There's no marketing advantage whatsoever in this combination, and like with Frank many intrigued by Gal will pass over it because of the bad value.   

What's Avie thinking?  Who's the prototype purchaser here?

Alan Howe

Not me. It's an opportunity wasted. A bit like the Gal symphony CDs coupled with Schumann and Schubert. Dreadful.

Greg K

Quote from: Alan Howe on Sunday 01 July 2012, 20:49
Not me. It's an opportunity wasted. A bit like the Gal symphony CDs coupled with Schumann and Schubert. Dreadful.

A LOT like it. They (Avie) gave some artsy/fartsy explanation for this (as I recall) that seemed ludicrous to me for an enterprise that might want to sell discs and promote a following for Gal.  Had they issued the 4 Symphonies on 2 CD's (like Meridian did with the 4 SQ's) many of us would (gratefully) already have them on our shelves (and the music in our affections) rather than shaking our heads and feeling put off as we do instead.

But the "nobility" of their intentions is preserved, I suppose, - and perhaps they have deep pockets.

Dundonnell

The Hans Gal Cello Concerto, op.67(1944-49) and the Cello Concertino, op.87(1965) are two quite different works, Eric :)

Avie has recorded the op.67 Cello Concerto. The op.87 Concertino is in our British Music Archives on this site.

I have a superb recording of the op.67 Concerto played by Moray Welsh which, for some unknown reason, I had not previously made available here. I am now happy to rectify this omission. This will do Avie no good at all....but since I fully agree with the comments about the company's wretchedly stupid policy of coupling the Gal works with 'warhorses' we all have in (probably) better performances I do not hesitate.

eschiss1

I mistook the 6 for an 8- it was my mistake and explains my error. I will be glad to hear the cello concerto too, whether on Avie (admittedly, preferably on the radio, but in straitened circs, that's how I do anyway most of the time...), or - and/or - through the archival stuffs (hush, Eric. (Shutting up shutting up sir, to quote a TV show.) )
Thanks!

As to the rest, it's been discussed to death in the threads on those symphony CDs - or so I thought. I'm beginning to be sorry I brought it up!!!! Except that I didn't. I brought the CD up- not the issue.