News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Johann Nepomuk Hummel

Started by JSK, Wednesday 27 January 2010, 07:29

Previous topic - Next topic

chill319

US Amazon reviewer Stephen Eldredge puts it neatly (in a review of Hough's Mendelssohn concertos) when he writes: "To go from the world of Hummel's Concerto in A minor or B minor to the concerti of Mendelssohn is really only a jaunt next door through the garden gate. I think Mr Hough's playing of concerti and sonatas by Hummel really helped him form a view of Mendelssohn's piano world which is not too heavily Romantic, but with a chaste Classical side to it. " So Mendelssohn, too, may be viewed (and played) as a transitional figure though some, like Berlioz, have thought he sounds better when played as a fully fledged Romantic.

Alan Howe

If you consider Mendelssohn's earliest music, he certainly is a transitional figure. His Symphony No.1 is also in thrall to Beethoven.

Steven Eldredge

It makes me happy to see so many people posting here about Johann Nepomuk Hummel. As I posted much earlier, it was Hummel's B minor Concerto Opus 89 and the music of Alkan that led me into a life-long interest in unsung 19th century music, back in 1968.

Another beautiful piece by Hummel is the great Septet, which I have always enjoyed in the recording by the Melos Ensemble of London. I just checked my CDs of Hummel's music, and I have about 25 or 26 of them. I guess that makes me a devotee!

Jonathan

I have a few Hummel CDs, I have the piano concerti Opp.85 & 89 as well as a few other bits and pieces.  I was listening to a recording of the 12 waltzes for piano duet earlier today, they are charming, wonderful little pieces.  I find his music very interesting, I first got to know the Septet via Liszt's amazing transcription and I also found a cheap CD of Stephen Hough playing some of the piano sonatas which is a fantastic disc.  A very good, somewhat neglected composer, IMHO.

JimL

One work of Hummel's which is, in many ways, forward-looking is the Concert Fantasy based on themes from Weber's Oberon (which was composed as a tribute to Weber about a year or so after his demise).  Some of the piano figuration (especially in the final section) brings to mind Saint-Saens (who was a pupil of Stamaty, who was a pupil of Kalkbrenner).  Just listen to that passage played by both hands in 10ths.  Isn't there a similar passage in the final section of Saint-Saens PC 4?

DennisS

Hi
I have just come across the Stephen Hough Chandos cd of Hummel's PCs opus 85 and 89. I think I bought the cd based on comments in this thread. for some reason, I only listened to the cd just once and then left if on the shelf. Coming across the cd 3 days ago, I gave it a second listen. I was absolutely taken aback by the music - absolutely glorious and thrilling. I can't think why the music did not impress me first time round. re-reading the liner notes, I noted that Hummel was apparently a pupil of Beethoven and later a teacher of Mendelssohn. That surely must be proof of his talent. I will be investigating his music further.

Cheers
Dennis

Alan Howe

That Chandos CD is indeed a thrilling recording of some thrilling music. It's certainly the place to start with Hummel. Trouble is, I'm not sure that anything else quite matches it, either as music or as performances.

edurban

I'm reposting this from the recordings section...perhaps it will interest Hummelians?

"...Brilliant has released a 2 cd World Premiere recording of Hummel's 'big' operatic success (comparatively speaking) Mathilde von Guise.  No libretto, but great stuff none the less: the 1821 revised Weimar version sung in Italian in a translation commisioned by Hummel.  There are some extras: 2 different overtures, the 1810 original and a jolly noisy one Hummel borrowed from the ballet Sappho of Mitilene in 1821.  There's also a little duet that somehow never made it into the published vocal scores.  I haven't seen this set anywhere but Records International, those champions of the unsung:

http://www.recordsinternational.com/cd.php?cd=07M048

This is a delightful piece.  Not very dramatic, maybe, but full of vigorous high spirits.  Mozart is the primary influence, but plenty of Haydn, Cherubini and some Beethoven too.  There are a surprisingly small number of arias: three, plus an additional Romanza for the soprano.  The cast is excellent, without being starry.  The period orchestra is Slovakian (fitting for a composer born in present-day Bratislava), as is the chorus: this is a Slovak/ French co-production.  All do a fine job, once the horns settle down.  The recorded sound is admirably clear.

All this at Brilliant's super-cheap prices!..."

David

Peter1953

Quote from: DennisS on Wednesday 11 August 2010, 13:04
I have just come across the Stephen Hough Chandos cd of Hummel's PCs opus 85 and 89. I think I bought the cd based on comments in this thread. for some reason, I only listened to the cd just once and then left if on the shelf. Coming across the cd 3 days ago, I gave it a second listen. I was absolutely taken aback by the music - absolutely glorious and thrilling.

Dennis, I agree with Alan. IMHO these two brilliant, gracious and delightful concertos overshadow all his other works. I have quite some music from Hummel (more PC's, chamber music, piano solo work including some fine sonatas) but Hummel reached his absolute top with opp. 85 & 89.

khorovod

Quote from: Peter1953 on Wednesday 11 August 2010, 20:44

Dennis, I agree with Alan. IMHO these two brilliant, gracious and delightful concertos overshadow all his other works. I have quite some music from Hummel (more PC's, chamber music, piano solo work including some fine sonatas) but Hummel reached his absolute top with opp. 85 & 89.

I am inclined to agree also. Have you heard the oratorio that prompted this thread, though? A marvellous if atypical work, I thought.

JimL

As fine as the A minor and B minor concertos are, I still have a soft spot for the Op. 113 in A-flat.  Jorge Bolet had it in his repertoire.

TerraEpon

Ok, so I just heard on the radio the quintet with a DB (I *think* -- it sounded like the instrumentation was 'weird' and the score seems to support what I heard), and man, was it just utterly fantastic. A beautiful Chopin-like slow movement that segues right into a fantastic, tuneful, rip-roaring finale. I must buy this piece now.

eschiss1

Quote from: TerraEpon on Tuesday 26 October 2010, 07:02
Ok, so I just heard on the radio the quintet with a DB (I *think* -- it sounded like the instrumentation was 'weird' and the score seems to support what I heard), and man, was it just utterly fantastic. A beautiful Chopin-like slow movement that segues right into a fantastic, tuneful, rip-roaring finale. I must buy this piece now.
Quintet in E-flat (minor) for piano, violin, viola, cello, double-bass, opus 87. (See http://imslp.org/wiki/Piano_Quintet,_Op.87_(Hummel,_Johann_Nepomuk).)
Eric

jerfilm

Yes, I've always been enamored by Hummel's music. 

I expect most of you have read it, but one of my favorite books is "The Great Pianists-From Mozart to the present" (not really the present, since it's out of print. )  Written by the New York Times music editor the late Harold Schonberg.  Has, for me, at least, numerous fascinating stories about Humme, Moscheles, Kalkbrenner; all of the 19th century and early 20th century greats.

It is still available from Amazon.com.