News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

CPO at bargain prices

Started by John H White, Friday 29 January 2010, 14:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Pengelli

This side of the 'Pond' of course. Some people might prefer to buy from a smaller supplier.of course;although judging by recent news reports hmv haven't been doing too well,financially.
Not being hugely wealthy I buy some cd's from the 'majors' and some smaller places like Presto & mdt,who run these special offers. I also pre-order some titles from small record labels like Chandos,Hyperion & Dutton,just to show my support. Then there are the sellers & places like the 'Classical cd exchange',although prices are so low now that I prefer to buy new whenever possible. I had one rather nasty experience with a seller recently. He had VERY high customer ratings,too! I have also downloaded some 'cd's' recently,where the cd was pricey or had things on it that I didn't want. Generally,I prefer to buy the actual cd.
Got my eye on the recent re-issue of Solti's 'Der Rosenkavalier' at the moment. Maybe Presto will drop the price!

Pengelli

I think I'll grab it before they delete it!

Greg K

Quote from: Pengelli on Wednesday 09 March 2011, 17:04
HMV are cheapest for Dutton,at £7.99 post free, for 1 cd. Boughton's 'The Queen of Cornwall' is £10.99 for a 2cd set,again post free,as they say.

Cheapest for UK buyers, as you say.  Given that HMV makes no VAT deduction from their listed prices for US buyers and charges substantially more for shipping
(over double, - at least for the first item), in our case Crotchet still makes for a substantially better deal.

TerraEpon

MDT tends to be the cheapest for US I've found. No VAT, already cheaper prices, AND reasonable shipping.

Pengelli

Only trouble with MDT is that they are more hassle if you want to send something back. I suppose they are smaller and have more to lose. With hmv you just send it back without having to explain the exact timing of the fault,what,precisely, it was & invoices,etc,to back your claim up.
Worst one ever was a seller on Amazon,who wanted photographic evidence & the original packing,so that he could examine it. He had very high ratings,too. Right,I thought,from now on I'm only buying from a seller if I can't buy it any other way. The extra cost is worth the extra peace of mind!