News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Hugo Staehle

Started by Biarent, Monday 02 July 2012, 03:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Biarent

Does anyone know of any performances or new recordings of Staehle's C minor Symphony that are in the works? I think this is one of the greatest symphonies written in the 1840's with the only others approaching its level of excellence during that time being Mendelssohn's Scottish and Schumann's beloved Op.61.

Thank you.

Brian

Richard Moss

Have you tried the Sterling release (with Burgmuller Sym 1, also in C min)?

Biarent

I have listened to that recording and think it is excellent.  I am disappointed that the symphony did not find its way into the concert repertoire or get recorded again.  I really feel like this piece is more deserving of being in the standard repertoire than both Schumann's Fourth (Op.120) and Mendelssohn's Fourth (Italian). I hope I won't get flamed for that last statement (and I will not go as far to say that it is a better work than Schumann's or Mendelssohn's best symphonic achievements, i.e., the C major and the Scottish, respectively, but I believe it to be in the same class for sure).

Mark Thomas

Welcome, Biarent, and be assured that we don't flame here.

eschiss1

Mendelssohn's 4th has the disadvantage of rarely being played in anything but an interim form (the composer was always working on it and had withdrawn it) or so I gather anyway but that is material for yet another thread and not in the UC forum :)
Staehle's piano quartet op.1 (a late work, posthumously published - he died fairly young) seems interesting. (Judging from the scanned-in score and parts; I know of no recording.)

chill319

Biarent, I'd love to read what aspects of the Staehle symphony particularly impress you.