Marie Jaell Piano Concertos 1 and 2 on France Musique

Started by allison, Tuesday 03 July 2012, 15:58

Previous topic - Next topic

allison

http://sites.radiofrance.fr/francemusique/em/concert-soir/emission.php?e_id=80000056

Available until Aug 1 on demand

Portrait de Marie Jaëll

Premier concert :

Gabriel Fauré, Ballade pour piano et orchestre en fa dièse Maj.
Jean-Claude Pennetier : piano

Marie Jaëll, Concerto n°1 en ré mineur pour piano et orchestre
Romain Descharmes : piano

Orchestre National de Lille
Joseph Swensen, direction

Second concert :

Francis Poulenc, Aubade, concerto chorégraphique pour piano et 18 instruments
Emmanuel Strosser : piano

Marie Jaëll, Concerto n°2 en ut mineur pour piano et orchestre
David Violi : piano

Orchestre National de Lille
Joseph Swensen, direction

> Concerts enregistrés en la Grande Salle de l'Opéra de Lille le 9 juin 2012
détail de l'émission

mjkFendrich

after searching at the site of France Musique a little bit I found the following link for listening to those 2 concerts directly

http://sites.radiofrance.fr/francemusique/_c/php/emission/popupMP3.php?e=80000056&d=515001196

thalbergmad

Stunning, lyrical and powerful fully blown romantic works.

Immensely impressed.

Thal

JimL

How do I record these into my system?  Or can I?  I've never dubbed over the internet before.  Can I use my Tubesucker?

allison

I will post them for approval, for you Jim. I use TotalRecorder to record off the internet and like it fine. Allison

JimL

Most excellent!  Is there any ancillary information to be had on these works (e.g. movement titles)?

eschiss1

hrm. scratch that, as I see her works after 1866 were published as "Jaell-Trautmann"- that is, she was Marie Jaell who married Trautmann, not the other way around... my mistake. Still, will try to find out about publication and movement titles if I can, now that a 6-month project is done and I'm taking a very brief break from one that may become one. (Odd though, since a book "Marie Jaëll and her century" talks about Alfred Jaëll meeting Marie Trautmann... will have a look at the book since it may have inter alia the answer to your question, btw.)

eschiss1

Hrm. Ok, most sources seem to agree her "maiden name" was Trautmann. As to her C minor concerto (no.2 - maybe no.1 is in manuscript?...) a 2-piano reduction published by O'Kelly, Paris is at the library of the University of Chicago. Anyone in southern Illinois? (Or who just wants to email a librarian :) )

Several of her MS works (including a 1875 string quartet, and others) have been edited and published recently (the quartet published in 2010.)

thalbergmad

I have the 2 piano version of the 2nd Concerto. The movements are Allegro, Andante & Vivace.

Manuscripts for both concerti are held in the BNU Strasbourg, but the listing does not give the movements.

Thal

Gareth Vaughan

Would some kind person be able to add these concerto recordings to the Downloads section, please?

Also, members may find this site of interest: http://www.expo-mariejaell.net/

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: thalbergmad on Tuesday 03 July 2012, 21:56
Stunning, lyrical and powerful fully blown romantic works.
Immensely impressed.
Agreed.  I find it interesting that she hailed from the Bas-Rhin; although it might be thought a somewhat glib comment, I hear both German and French influences -- a blend of Brahms and Saint-Saëns -- which I find pretty convincing.  More than a dash of Liszt, too, in the 2nd concerto.

eschiss1

I'll check again, but I think her husband was good friends with Liszt and from the biography of Marie Jaëll that I skimmed yesterday I believe this was the case with her also (and later she with Saint-Saëns also.) So maybe not too surprising there...

JimL

I just gave the 2nd Concerto a couple of listens.  As far as I can tell the 2nd movement is extremely short (only about 2 1/4 minutes).  The work seems to be cyclic in the Lisztian manner, with the opening pizzicato gesture in the basses being transformed throughout, the secondary material from the first movement also undergoes the same treatment.  Quite impressive indeed.

Gareth Vaughan

These two concertos were on Mike Spring's radar for inclusion in Hyperion's RPC series, but do we know whether these performances herald a recording by another record company?

JimL

Did not von Bülow refer to her husband as "good, fat Jaëll"?  Guess he had a bit of a weight problem.  Maybe Marie was quite the good cook as well.