Help needed for: Unsung violin concertos 1894-..

Started by violinconcerto, Sunday 07 February 2010, 13:12

Previous topic - Next topic

violinconcerto

Hello Eric,

thanks for mentioning that aspect!
I already had the same thought and contacted a lot of university libraries directly but the response rate was rather low. A problem is to find the online catalogues which can be scanned for these works, so thank you for mentioning the NY Public Library. Other sources will be welcome as well!

Best,
Tobias

eschiss1

chill319

Ludolf Nielsen. Op.9 Berceuse. Violin and strings 1905

Marcus

Hello Tobias,
Another name for your list:
Yaron Gottfried (b.1968 Israel) - Concerto for 2 Violins & Ochestra. (3mvts 21'37") Available from CD Baby USA.

Marcus.

violinconcerto

Thanks for the hint on the Nielsen and the Gottfried! Already ordered!  :D

Marcus

Just a few more names for your unrecorded violin concerto list:
English composers: Percy Pitt (1869-1932) Ballade for Violin & Orchestra op17 (1900), Anthony Collins (1893-1963) Two Violin Concertos,(you have one listed ?),Ian Whyte (1901-1960) Concerto, Reginald Redman (1892-1972) Serenade for 2 Violins & Orchestra, Ernest Ford (1858-1919) Elegy for Violin & Orchestra.
Other nationalities: Felix Woyrsch (1860-1944) Concerto in D minor op50 (between 1896-1908),Alberto.I.Randegger (1880-1918) Concerto (played by Kubelik in London in 1902), Arne Oldberg (1874-1962) Concerto (1953), Franz Ondricek (1859-1922) Concerto, Marcel Quinet (1915- ) 3 Equisses Concertante for Violin & Orchestra (1946), Rudolf Moser (1892-1960) Concerto for Violin , Viola & Orchestra, G.Gavazenni (1909- ?) Concerto (1937) A. Lehman Engel (b1910- ?) Concerto (1945), H.H.Huss Concerto in C minor (note key), Paul Juon (1872-1940) Concerto in B minor (key), Wesley la Violette (1894-1978)  Double Concerto for String Quartet & Orchestra (1937), Concerto no1 (1929) no2 (1938) (dates), L.F.M.Aubert (1877-1968) Capriccio Violin & Orchestra (1925), J.Canteloube (1879-1957) Poeme for Violin & Orchestra (1937), Jean Hure (1877-1930) Air for Violin & Orchestra (1902) J.Jongen ((1873-1953), Concerto in B minor (key), Jean Martinon (1910-1976) Concerto for String Quartet & Chamber Orchestra (1944), Pierre Sancan (1916-2008) Concerto (1958).
This is the tip of a very large  iceberg ! Hope it is useful.
Cheers !
Marcus.

violinconcerto

Hello Marcus,

thanks a lot for the impressive list!
I will add the information in the next weeks! What is your source if I may ask you?

Best,
Tobias

Martin Eastick

Hello Tobias,

Have you included Ignatz Waghalter (1881-1949) yet. The Violin Concerto in A Op15 was published in 1911 and there is also the Rapsodie for violin & orchestra Op9 which dates from 1909 I believe! Both are as yet unrecorded - unless you know otherwise!

Good luck with your project.

Marcus

Hi Tobias,
My sources are mainly books & information obtained from the i/net over the years.
The American Oscar Thompson's Cyclopedia of Music & Musicians, (2250 pages) is a huge source of information.
Nicolas Slonimsky's Biographical Dictionary of Composers & Musicians, is very good, and of course I need not mention Groves. An article by Philip Scowcroft entitled "Some British Conductor-Composers"(1990-94-97), plus various other books and articles on composers. (Too many to list), although Robert Layton's "A Guide to the Concerto" has a wealth of information, although compared to your list, is a mere postscript. The French composers are listed in an article entitled Impressionist Composers. I sat down with the Thompson Cyclopedia, and within an hour, I had picked at random, a few obscure names I had heard of, and there are many more - the same applies to Groves. I think if you spend a month with those two books, you will expand your list of unrecorded works considerably.
I will try to source more information on early 20th century Australian.& NZ composers.
Cheers !
Marcus.

violinconcerto

Hello Marcus,

thanks for the answer and the source of your knowledge!
I already ordered a copy of the Thompson works (for pretty nice 3€ in total!) For the Groves I need a library, but hopefully my city libraries got something like that!

Thanks for all the hints and I would be pleased if you can check the Aussie and NZ composers!

Best,
Tobias

KLScott

Dear Tobias:

I'm sure I will come up with a list of works that are not on your site, but for now I will mention one, namely the Fantasiestucke for Violin and Orchestra, Op. 66 by the German composer Hugo Kaun (1863-1932). A contemporary of Richard Strauss, Mahler, Reger and Pfitzner, Kaun's music is rarely played, and very few commercial recordings exist of his music. This work lasts, judging from the orchestral score and violin-piano reduction, lasts around ten minutes, and was premiered in Berlin on 1 January 1907 under Busoni's direction, with Michael Press as soloist.

Unfortunately, no recording exists, and the only modern performance I have been able to trace so far occured in September of 2002 at the University of Wisconsin through the Max Kade Institute for German-American Studies. Kaun lived in Milwaukee from 1887 to 1902.

This is a composer who is, from what I have heard so far, is a major find.

KL Scott

eschiss1

Question- do you use http://cadensa.bl.uk as a resource? They list a concerto by Stanley Bate as recorded, for instance, though they don't say which one it is (just that it was composed in 1950) or who's conducting. It's the sound archive library catalog of the BBC (now known as iLink.)

Eric

chill319

Frederick Shepherd Converse. Concerto for Violin and Orchestra, opus 13 (1902).
Dedicated to Timothee Adamowski (violinist and first conductor of the Boston Pops)
First public performance: 1932. No known recording.

Marcus

Hello Tobias,
Just a couple of Finnish names: (unrecorded)
Heikki Suolahti (1920-1936) Violin Concerto (1934), Jorma Panula (b.1930) Violin Concerto (1954), E.Pingaud (1887-1942) Violin Concerto (unfinished)
Marcus

violinconcerto

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 15 February 2010, 19:34
Question- do you use http://cadensa.bl.uk as a resource? They list a concerto by Stanley Bate as recorded, for instance, though they don't say which one it is (just that it was composed in 1950) or who's conducting. It's the sound archive library catalog of the BBC (now known as iLink.)

Eric

Hello Eric,

thanks for the hint, but I already searched for the Bate violin concertos and several times I came across site which list the commercially recorded *viola* concertos as a violin concerto. So I am pretty sure that the entry you found is the viola concerto.

Marcus and chill!
Thanks for the names! I already added them to my offline list, will search for some additional information (if necessary) and of course for a recording and then add the works to my website (within the next weeks). So thanks a lot and you are of course always welcome to mention further names!

Best,
Tobias