Unsung Rachmaninoffian Piano Concertos

Started by kyjo, Sunday 05 August 2012, 04:46

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

Can somebody record it and upload it, please?

JimL

Never mind.  It's on YouTube.  Of course. :)

P.S. And we still have in in our downloads archive.

Jonathan

Listened to Pabst's piano concerto yesterday and I detected hints of Rachmaninov in the final movement - anyone else agree with me?

semloh

My second suggestion for an Unsung Rach. PC is the Rhapsody 21 by Mineo, which I think I downloaded from UC. This is Rachmaninov meets The Dream of Olwen - cheesy "running toward each other along cliff tops" music, but quite charming, well to me anyway!  ;D

Anyone else enjoy it?

Gareth Vaughan

I don't know it, and the folder doesn't seen to be there anymore. Could you possibly upload it?

semloh

Quote from: Gareth Vaughan on Saturday 01 September 2012, 21:43
I don't know it, and the folder doesn't seen to be there anymore. Could you possibly upload it?

Happy to do that, Gareth, subject to approval.  ;)

JollyRoger

How Vladigerov could be omitted from this list is beyond me..born to late, I suppose..

reineckeforever

Can we think to Grieg's a minor piano concerto as a prequel of rachmaninov first PC (first version, think to the accords before the orchestral TUTTI at the end of the exposition....)...what about Rosza? Spellbound Piano Concerto?
Bye Andrea

TerraEpon

Quote from: reineckeforever on Wednesday 05 September 2012, 21:16
Can we think to Grieg's a minor piano concerto as a prequel of rachmaninov first PC

Well, considering Rach's 1st PC was purposefully written to follow Grieg's model...

As for Rozsa's piece, see the above discussion about the Warsaw Concerto et. al.

reineckeforever

I did a research all over this topic....nobody mentioned Catoire...I think his piano concerto op. 21 is a superrachmaninoffian piano concerto!!!

eschiss1

I'm of two minds about including this but have mentioned him before - Willy Ostijn's music for piano and orchestra, while too-recently written, seems to me on re-listening to be not only anachronistically Romantic but fairly well on the Rachmaninoff side of things (in shape, manner of argument, etc.) No work I've heard actually entitled "concerto", but the 2 Concert-pieces ("Concertstuk") with piano - see e.g. Concertstuk, piano and strings), the Ballade (only an incomplete performance available at IMSLP at present)- I don't know, have a listen. 

Mark Thomas

Ostijn's Concertstuk is a very attractive work, totally romantic in style which certainly does have the whiff of Rachmaninov abut it. Thanks for this, Eric.

eschiss1

the other Concertstuk near-quotes Rachmaninoff and Grieg to the point where I decided I needed to point you to the one with strings for fairness- I think I prefer the ballade of the three, though the recording provided is an incomplete arrangement. But I do like what I am hearing of his music (as uploaded/typeset by his nephew, I think!- a little was performed during his lifetime but I don't know of CD recordings offhand (except for 11 CDs brought out by his family mentioned at CeBeDeM, where I think some of the recordings @IMSLP may come from.) Anyhow. :)
I should go listen to deGreef's concertos, for instance, and see if they qualify...

ewk

Quote from: eschiss1 on Tuesday 11 September 2012, 17:56
(as uploaded/typeset by his nephew, I think!-

It is really his nephew, I already had mail contact with him. He spent years on typesetting his uncle's works...

Mark Thomas

I've started a thread on Ostijn here, so back to Rachmaninov-alikes....