Saint-Saëns from Onyx

Started by Alan Howe, Friday 17 August 2012, 18:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

A recent release from Onyx contains Saint-Saëns' late La Muse et le Poète Op.132 for violin, cello and orchestra. A substantial excerpt is available here (track 1):
http://www.onyxclassics.com/mp3detail.php?CatalogueNumber=ONYX4091

TerraEpon

La Muse et le Poète as far as recordings go is far less unsung than reviewers make it out to be. I own five recordings of it, including two separate ones conducted by Jean-Jacques Kantorow
Now if only someone would record the piano trio version....

That CD does, however, have the first symphony which is certainly more of a rarity.

Alan Howe

I think it's still pretty unsung: in fact, I didn't even realise that I already had a version in my collection!

Jonathan

Quote from: TerraEpon on Friday 17 August 2012, 19:03
La Muse et le Poète as far as recordings go is far less unsung than reviewers make it out to be. I own five recordings of it, including two separate ones conducted by Jean-Jacques Kantorow
Now if only someone would record the piano trio version....

That CD does, however, have the first symphony which is certainly more of a rarity.

I didn't even know there was a piano trio version!   :o
I've got two recordings of it and it is a lovely work.

JimL

Bell and Isserlis recorded it with the 2nd CC and a couple of other works for cello/orchestra.  I believe it's EMI.

Mykulh

Thanks Alan,
   Always good to hear about recordings of even "almost unsung" works and composers.

edurban

I might have to get this for the 1st symphony, but the opening is glaaaacially slow and there seems to be alot of pushing/pulling of the tempo in mvnt I.  I wish the last mvnt was available to preview...

Dumay as conductor?  Still not convinced...

David

TerraEpon

Quote from: Jonathan on Friday 17 August 2012, 19:23
I didn't even know there was a piano trio version!   :o

More technically, a reduction of the orchestra part on piano, but it amounts to the same thing.

Quote from: JimL on Friday 17 August 2012, 19:53
Bell and Isserlis recorded it with the 2nd CC and a couple of other works for cello/orchestra.  I believe it's EMI.

RCA actually. Has the 2nd Cello Sonata as well (and a previous CD had, unsurprisingly, the first CC and Sonata)