News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Anis Fuleihan (1900-1970)

Started by kyjo, Wednesday 08 August 2012, 03:03

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

I've been intrigued by this Cypriot-born American composer, conductor and pianist. He has an informative Wikipedia article, where I learned he composed a Mediterranean Suite for orchestra as well as a Theremin Concerto (probably the only one ever written ;D), which was apparently featured in the film "Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey". I also learned that Fuleihan wrote one of the variations from the collectively composed "Variations on a Theme by Goossens" (the other variation composers were American as well), which is available for download on this site, courtesy of shamokin88. I also recall a short piano piece of his (I can't recall the title) appearing in the old version of the wonderful book "51 Piano Pieces from the Modern Repertoire" (which includes plenty of rare piano music), but in the new version of the book, it is, sadly, replaced by a Bartok bagatelle :(. Does anyone know more or have any comments on this intriguing composer?

chill319

The unnamed piano piece you refer to is "Twilight mood," (c) 1940.

kyjo

Thanks very much, chill319. I'll ask my piano teacher (who has a copy of the old version of the book) to make a copy of it for me. I'll try to learn it, lest my feeble piano skills get in the way >:( ;D! Based on the title of this piece, I wouldn't expect Fuleihan to be too avant-garde ;)...

Acutamusicelgar

There is a recording of the first performance of the Theremin Concerto on Symposium CD 1253, conducted by Stokowski.

Mark Thomas

I think this is one of those topics which, given the change in UC's focus, it's now appropriate to close down.