News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Felix Woyrsch

Started by sdtom, Saturday 18 August 2012, 04:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

My impression of Volbach was of a rather more outgoing composer than Woyrsch. I shall have to double check!

semloh

Apologies for a rather tedious question  ::) ..... but can someone tell me how to pronounce the name Woyrsch in English, please?  Is it approximately ""Voy-rush"?

X. Trapnel

According to the liner notes of the First Symphony the name is virtually impossible to pronounce correctly. Fortunately or otherwise, there can't be many social situations in which one might be called upon to pronounce it aloud.

JimL

I'll go with "Voyursch".

Alan Howe

semloh

Thanks.
I can now rest assured that when I casually mention his name at one of my candlelight suppers there will be no embarrassing faux pas;D

Lionel Harrsion

Quote from: semloh on Monday 27 August 2012, 22:18
Thanks.
I can now rest assured that when I casually mention his name at one of my candlelight suppers there will be no embarrassing faux pas;D
Nice to know you are keeping up appearances! :o

Ilja

Quote from: JimL on Monday 27 August 2012, 14:16
I'll go with "Voyursch".

Largely correct; the trick is to keep the 'r' guttural, candlelight-dinner-wise - the way it's pronounced in Piemontese Italian or in Portuguese words beginning with 'r', if that means anything to anyone.

pcc

No wonder he's been unsung if his name is unspeakable!  :)  I can't imagine the difficulties he must have had introducing himself at social gatherings...

Alan Howe

Quote from: pcc on Thursday 30 August 2012, 08:24
No wonder he's been unsung if his name is unspeakable! 

Woyrsch unspeakable? Unpronounceable, maybe  ;)

pcc

Merely an assonant and verbal conceit of mine; "unpronounceable" was my intent, but it didn't fit against "unsung" as well! (It was a bad joke - sorry.  Now I'll go and find him to listen to!)

pcc

Quote from: Alan Howe on Monday 27 August 2012, 10:37
My impression of Volbach was of a rather more outgoing composer than Woyrsch. I shall have to double check!
I would also say that "Volbach & Woyrsch" looks like a minor but forbiddingly earnest German music publisher!   ;)

black

This has become a silly discussion! I sincerely hope it is not the result of UC' s revised remit. :(

Alan Howe

True. Back to the music, then.

Alan Howe

For me Woyrsch's music has a certain post-Brahmsian reserve about it; certainly Symphony No.2 of 1912-13 has nothing of the impetuous sweep of Volbach's 1st of 1909.